Fiberglass surround for Kohler Villager?

Users who are viewing this thread

JPP388

Reaction score
I will be replacing a 77 year old CI tub with a 60 x 30 CI Kohler Villager. The contractor suggests replacement tiles around the alcove, which I do not want. I would prefer a direct to stud fiberglass unit backed by a material like Hardie backer board with a waterprooofing material like Red Gard or the Laticrete product.

I would like a referral for a good surround, and how to best seal the tub / surround joint.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you're going to go with a manufactured surround, buy at tub that includes one, and if installed properly, it will be waterproof. The key things on any tub install are first to make sure it is installed perfectly level AND that you make the walls both plumb, and square. If you do that, the panels will fit in like a glove, and will not leak. In that case, you do not need anything extra on the walls or any additional waterproofing. Should you want tile, then there are other things to consider.

If you can fit it in, I think you'd be happier with a 32" wide tub. The fiberglass or composite ones these days tend to have less room in them than a CI one from old, and those extra couple of inches will be appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks