Fiberglass shower pan...install using no nails?

Users who are viewing this thread

DougDoingRemodel

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm remodeling my bathroom and purchased a new 60x30 shower pan from Mustee. It's white fiberglass, and I'm quite pleased with the quality of the unit for the price. One thing that has me troubled while looking at the instructions, is that there is no mention at all of securing the shower base to the wall studs. The installation instructions only mention using silicon so as to avoid squeeks. All other shower bases I've installed required that large-head nails be used to hold it in place against the studs. What's the deal here? I have the base down on the floor and it's nice and level - looks great. To nail, or not to nail? I hate to deviate from manufacturer instructions.

Installation instructions from Mustee (PDF): http://www.mustee.com/product-lines/easy-access-shower-floors/downloads/pdf/SI-199.pdf

Input? Thanks!

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree with the manufacturer's recommended procedure. I've encountered
a number of fiberglass/plastic shower receptors which were leaking due to cracks
formed by installers driving nails through the tile flange.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do NOT drive nails through the tile flange. You install the nails so the heads "hook over" the tile flange and hold it in place. There is no reason NOT to do it, since it gives added protection against movement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks