Fiberglass Shower, No Tile, Sheetrock?

Users who are viewing this thread

ScottTENN

Reaction score
I have a basement bathroom that will probably not get near as much traffic as any of the upper story bathrooms. It has a shower, 36"x36", toilet and sink. Everything is still at a rough in stage except that the fiberglass shower has been installed.

Everything I have read talks about what to use if you tile above the fiberglass shower walls. I don't want any tile on the walls. I have read that standard sheetrock is best for the ceiling of the shower for structural reasons. True? Can I just use sheetrock on the walls above the shower or do I need a greenboard or cement board type product? Vapor barrier always? We are talking about maybe 18" from the shower wall lip to the ceiling. The shower head is installed several inches above the fiberglass walls. I'm a tall guy and I didn't want to have to stoop when I use the shower.

If I have to use a water resistant material...All that I have seen are very course, something for tile to stick too. What product do I use to get a smooth side so I can paint it?

Also does the entire bathroom have to be done in a water resistance wall material? Can I just use standard 1/2" sheetrock for the bathroom walls?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should be able to use regular drywall in the bathroom above the surround and on the rest of the walls and ceiling. The key to making it all work is a good paint and ventilation.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just be sure you caulk well where the sheetrock meets the stall. I'd leave about 1/8" or so space between the bottom edge of the rock and the fiberglass so you can force caulk under the rock.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What I would do is cement board for the first course above the base then green board for the rest of the shower...most problems originate where the base and tile meet...if you use cement board, thin set, and tile on the first course you should never have a problem other than regrouting...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Greenboard used to be code for bathrooms in some places. Now, it is no longer the case because they found out it didn't make any difference. If you are worried about it, consider something like Denshield. The shower should be waterproof up to at least the level of the showerhead. If that means tile, you should go that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks