Fernco's and sump pump drains?

Users who are viewing this thread

Treeman

Reaction score
It seems that Fernco style couplings are common on PVC sump pump drain lines, both on the Fernco brand check valve and/or as a coupling to take the system apart.

Since they are only rated to 4.3 lbs. of pressure, how are they allowed on a sump pump system? If the drain line clogged, wouldn't the pump create more than 4.3 lbs.?

Another question: Is there a reason most seem to use just the plain rubber coupling and not the banded (mission) style coupling? The banded coupling seems so much more secure.

Is it overkill to use all solid/glued PVC check valves and unions?

Thank you.

stealle

Reaction score
I came to the forum today to find the answer to this very question. Anyone have an answer?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
mission_bandseal.jpg

I've been using shielded couplings for those. They typically will hold 20 feet of head. That should be enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks