Fernco Water Well Debris Trap -- curious

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I ran across https://www.fernco.com/products/water-management/water-well-debris-traps
It initially looked interesting, but having looked at the page, this does not make sense to me.
  • The trap is quickly and easily installed over the well casing and secured with stainless steel clamp.
After thinking about it, I suspect that is a typo, and should say "easily installed over the well pump". Yet the drawing says casing and coupling. Those labels don't make sense if this gadget goes onto the pump. And if they are using "casing" to indicate a liner for an uncased well, it still doesn't make sense to me.

res-water-well-debris-trap-main.jpg

Any comments on this thing?

Last edited:

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
They are more commonly know as shale traps.

No they do not go on the pump or drop pipe

they are made to be installed on the OUTSIDE of casing or liner, exactly as the picture indicates.

Reach4

Reaction score
They are more commonly know as shale traps.

No they do not go on the pump or drop pipe

they are made to be installed on the OUTSIDE of casing or liner, exactly as the picture indicates.
Thanks. How would debris outside of the casing or liner reach the pump intake? Would this be trying to catch stuff that might make it thru the liner/casing slots? In the case of casing, I would have thought the gravel would take care of that.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Thanks. How would debris outside of the casing or liner reach the pump intake? Would this be trying to catch stuff that might make it thru the liner/casing slots? In the case of casing, I would have thought the gravel would take care of that.

Yes they are there to catch those things outside the casing....or when installing a liner to isolate a particular zone. Not all screened wells are gravel packed. Around here they are frequently used to hold grout until it sets....our private well regs only require 50' of grout, no matter how deep the well is......so cheap drillers will install this at 50' and it will hold the grout slurry from sinking any further.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks