Fernco No Hub or Donut

Users who are viewing this thread

UnassumingDIY

Reaction score
I am tying into some old 4" CI drain pipe below grade. Should I cut out this section and use a No Hub or try to hammer a donut in? My worry with the no hub is the outside of the pipe is very rough. My worry with the donut is it will leak and this will be covered with concrete and a heated floor after. In the first pictures the main sewer line exits to the left, on the second one it exits to the top.

https://imgur.com/i88E9rV

https://imgur.com/gRaHgvk

Thanks!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think most of us would cut the pipe, clean it up, and use a no-hub on it. Diablo makes some sawzall blades that make short work of that.
If you're worried about a good seal, you could use some Silicone inside the rubber banding.

diablo-steel-demon.jpg

Last edited:

djfremen

Reaction score
I literally just completed this process and faced the same decision. Forget the donut in my opinion. It's a ton of work to grind the lead out. For the no hub, a chisel and orbital sander are going to be your friends for an hour but you can make that old cast sparkle! As Terry suggests, use the carbide diablo blades. I went a step further and purchased a diamond grinder blade to score the top of the cut as straight as possible. Then once I had a groove, I used the carbide for the rest. Find a cast iron wye and use shielded connections to make the seal. Advice on this part is to remove the stainless steel shielded couplings and lube the elastomeric polyvinyl to slip the WHOLE portion over the wye. Then fit and slide the polyvinyl over the junction and tighten to 60 inch-pounds. I finished my the install with Flex Seal on the donut lead junction. Hope this helps.

ridgid-torque-wrench.jpg

• No. 902 Torque Wrench - The 5/16" drive tightens with a fast ratchet action until the wrench clicks for accurate 60 inch-pounds torque.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks