Fernco coupling failure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Salpher

Reaction score
I cut out a vertical section of 4" cast iron and replaced it w/a section of 4" PVC, tied to the remaining cast iron w/ 4" Fernco mission style rubber couplings on each end. The bottom coupling leaks from the cast iron side of the joint. I don't think I can tighten it anymore, and it still leaks!

I don't know what to do - is it a bad coupling or could the cast iron have a deformity. The cast iron looks ok and the cut I made was very clean. Would a banded rubber coupling work better?

This has never happened to me before. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless it is underground, you need the no-hub connector to be legal. Try one of them and see what happens.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Like jadnashua said code is banded couplings above ground and rubber coupling with hose clamp style bands on the ends for underground.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
You have to use special transition couplings....
The rubber is thicker on the cast iron side than the ABS side and they have stainless steel sleeves over the rubber...
Otherwise the joints will distort and leak...

Salpher

Reaction score
I am working in the basement ... is this considered underground? I was under the impression that banded couplings are required when working in walls to prevent a nail or screw from entering, but that mission style was acceptable for CI to PVC in a basement.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Wrong...you have the wrong idea about the band - it is to keep the ends of the pipe aligned. Underground, you backfill the hole properly, and that keeps the pipes aligned. A nailing flange is a totally different thing.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
salpher said:
I am working in the basement ... is this considered underground?

If it will be covered with dirt it is underground, if it is not it is above ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks