Female plastic thread, Brass or plastic nipple? no o-ring needs ptfe tape

Users who are viewing this thread

C Wolford

Reaction score
I got a 1" female plastic thread for a whole house filter Ispring WGB21B

Manufacturer says brass is okay, but some people saying the brass + tape cracks the heads.

Should I plastic nipple to brass "sharkbite"? or just brass sharkbite?

will 1" schedule 80 PVC be okay / legal for this? will it fit the 1" FIP of the water filter and the FIP of the push connector?

1" is out of my normal working range and I cant find fittings, parts, etc.. in anything but brass or schedule 80 PVC.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
That is not what most people would consider a whole house filter. More like a point of use filter. This type of filter is adequate for an ice maker or a soda machine, not for a whole house.

Be sure to install a proper 3 valve bypass as it is likely to fail in the future, either an o-ring leak or a housing failure so the ability to bypass it is critical. I would also highly recommend installing it in a location that is not suseptible to water damage.

With that particular housing manufacturer I would recommend plastic fittings. Be sure to follow local codes. If you are not sure you should probably pay a licensed plumber to do the installation. Here is a really bad diagram of a 3 valve bypass.

Water_Softener_Bypass_Culligan_012.jpg

C Wolford

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have a 950 sq foot 1 bath house. This is on city water, more for the chlorine to help safe guard pex, tho it should not be needed.

I thought I knew PVC sch 40 was a no go for inside supply was unsure for sch 80, but it seems my Il code allows it PVC for water distribution

ANSI/NEMA Z535.1-2006 (R2011)
ASTM D 1785-2012
ASTM D 2241-2009
ASTM D 2672-2009

* Water distribution pipe must meet the appropriate NSF standard for potable water. Plastic shall be rated at 160 psi at 73.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

* Use for cold or tempered water only.

Question
You pointed out a bypass that I do plan on installing, but raised a point that tossed me for a loop.

3 vs 4 valve by pass see the image, its from there manual so take it with a grain of salt.
Is there a difference in the way you would use 4 valves over 3? Just the way its piped?

What about dead water legs with the bypass not being used for X amount of time?

Thanks for your time and knowledge

Attachments

• 3 vs 4 valve bypass.jpg
    3 vs 4 valve bypass.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 224

Reach4

Reaction score
I thought I knew PVC sch 40 was a no go for inside supply was unsure for sch 80, but it seems my Il code allows it PVC for water distribution

ANSI/NEMA Z535.1-2006 (R2011)
ASTM D 1785-2012
ASTM D 2241-2009
ASTM D 2672-2009

* Water distribution pipe must meet the appropriate NSF standard for potable water. Plastic shall be rated at 160 psi at 73.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

* Use for cold or tempered water only.
Good point. Illinois has its own code as long as the city/county has not overruled a portion. Good going making the citations, but I have not checked that you made the right inferences. The code also covers drain lines, so it would require careful study to make sure a material was approved for pressurized potable water.

There are also schedule 80 CPVC nipples for those in areas that allow CPVC but not PVC.

3 vs 4 valve by pass see the image, its from there manual so take it with a grain of salt.
Is there a difference in the way you would use 4 valves over 3? Just the way its piped?

In your 4-valve system, two of the valves are in series, which seems redundant, but your comment about dead water legs seems to be a reasonable explanation.

Manufacturer says brass is okay, but some people saying the brass + tape cracks the heads.
I had not heard that. What does not work well are the cheap plastic nipples with the mold marks. I am not a plumber. Do use both PTFE and plastic-safe pipe dope. I think using premium PTFE tape rather than the cheap thin light tape is useful. The Oatey pink stuff uses higher density and thicker PTFE. The yellow tape allowed for tas is normally better than the white, and is indeed ok for water too. Plastic or metal, don't overtighten into the plastic female threads. Sorry, I cannot define overtightening.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The 4 valve diagram is bad as is the three valve diagram. The three valve would not allow for bypassing... just do it as show earlier in the thread, don't overthink it, it is not that critical. And do not install a BB filter (or really any water treatment equipment) in an area where water damage can occur without a properly maintained leak detection and shut off device.

C Wolford

Reaction score
The 4 valve diagram is bad as is the three valve diagram. The three valve would not allow for bypassing... just do it as show earlier in the thread, don't overthink it, it is not that critical. And do not install a BB filter (or really any water treatment equipment) in an area where water damage can occur without a properly maintained leak detection and shut off device.

Thanks for the info, I just looked at that diagram, and I could not help but laugh, I just assumed it depicted a correct 3 valve bypass, I was using it to compare the two. Goes to show what they know lol.

Questions if you don't mind. Outside of the fact that they have shown complete incompetence with there 3 valve bypass and the waste of an extra valve, is there anything wrong with the 4 valve bypass from a functional standpoint? I'm just curious as it seems to work. Is is just not professional?

Thanks for your time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks