Felt pad under new shower base?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Dave Arnold, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Dave Arnold

Dave Arnold New Member

I'm replacing an old (cracked) plastic shower/tube combo with a new Sterling shower kit. Installing the new base calls for a "felt pad" or a concrete sand mix base. I would prefer the felt base, however the base no longer comes with a felt pad. I need to know how thick a "felt pad" has to be and where to purchase the felt material. Tks.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The felt that came with the kits was pretty thin. You can also use construction adhesive below the pan.
    The mortar mix is good if the floor is out of level.

Sylvan likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Sylvan likes this.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Felt will keep it from squeaking as much as it deflects while walking around on it. Neither the bottom of the pan nor the floor are likely perfectly flat, and the felt will potentially compress as the pan flexes. Over time, that flex can cause stress cracks. Mortar installed properly, ensures the pan is well supported, and the stuff doesn't compress, keeping the pan from flexing. The mortar will also allow you to make the base perfectly level so that the walls and door fit better...at least if the walls are plumb, which is another story altogether.