Felt pad under new shower base?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave Arnold

Reaction score
I'm replacing an old (cracked) plastic shower/tube combo with a new Sterling shower kit. Installing the new base calls for a "felt pad" or a concrete sand mix base. I would prefer the felt base, however the base no longer comes with a felt pad. I need to know how thick a "felt pad" has to be and where to purchase the felt material. Tks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The felt that came with the kits was pretty thin. You can also use construction adhesive below the pan.
The mortar mix is good if the floor is out of level.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Felt will keep it from squeaking as much as it deflects while walking around on it. Neither the bottom of the pan nor the floor are likely perfectly flat, and the felt will potentially compress as the pan flexes. Over time, that flex can cause stress cracks. Mortar installed properly, ensures the pan is well supported, and the stuff doesn't compress, keeping the pan from flexing. The mortar will also allow you to make the base perfectly level so that the walls and door fit better...at least if the walls are plumb, which is another story altogether.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks