Feeling stupid- can't figure out how to turn on shower...

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm actually in Hawaii right now and I still can't figure out how to use this shower as the faucet is different to the pictures above!
If you can't figure out how to turn on the water, I would pull or turn the big clear knob on the wall. If you had figured that out, and think your post is related to this thread, why did you post that photo?

Last edited:

Sofie

Reaction score
If you can't figure out how to turn on the water, I would pull or turn the big clear knob on the wall. If you had figured that out, and think your post is related to this thread, why did you post that photo?
I just did that now and it worked
Thank you
It was really stiff and my husband told me if I carried on doing it it was gonna snap off
Thanks a lot for your help

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it doesn't pull out to open the valve and they can get stiff as they age, push it up.

Last edited:

Fugl

Reaction score
Doing a budget holiday in Vancouver and the Airbnb I’m in has this faucet. Took a birdbath like many others who’ve visited this thread and damn am I glad this thread exists. Welcome to 2018.

FredrickVegas

Reaction score
Lol, thank you in 2018!
I have lived all over the country, rented many different places and thought I had seen all the shower tub combination faucets but this old delta had me! I did pull on ring but you have to have the water running to work. My poor girl had to take a bath instead. We were grubby from a big week move and I just could not figure out to turn on water first, lol. Thank you so much, now I can take a much needed shower!! Happy and Safe 4th of July!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That is how pull-up diverters work so not understanding why you would think otherwise.

delta-pull-down-1.jpg

It's why some hotels have this posted on the tub walls. I love the tub spout, but it also isn't obvious. :)

delta-rp17453-terrylove-2.jpg

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It's why some hotels have this posted on the tub walls. I love the tub spout, but it also isn't obvious. :)
But the sign doesn't say you have to have the water running at the time. LOL

Reminds me of a PC support call decades ago. Lady was installing a software update from floppies and got an error on disk 2. To make a long story short, she had not removed disk 1 from the floppy drive and stuffed the second disk alongside it. In her vain defense, she said "the instructions didn't say to remove disk 1". LOL

MellyBean

Reaction score
This post is still helping in 2018! I just bought a house and went to take my first shower here and couldn't figure out how! This post was spot on! Thank you thank you thank you! I'm now all fresh and clean.

Reaction score
Now it’s 2019 and this post rescued me this morning. I am staying with relatives and got up early. Felt like an idiot standing in the bathtub with no idea how to get the shower on. This post came to my rescue! And it made me feel better to see all the other intelligent people who had been in the same boat. Thanks so much!

Eliza2965

Reaction score
I am soo happy to have found my people, since I swore i was losing my mind! I'm dogsitting and last night tried to take a shower. I fiddled with the #$%^& shower for a good 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get the water from the faucet to the showerhead. gave up, got in and just washed up using the water in the tub. FFS. Texted the doggy mom today, who told me "pull down where the water comes out" Still wasn't sure so I googled it and OH LOOK, its an invisible ring that you pull down from INSIDE the freaking faucet. Who would have known? I will say too, if i had this in my shower, and someone was staying in my house, i would have made sure to mention it. But its ok. now i can shower and all is right in the world.

RiddhiB

Reaction score
2019 and this forum just saved my butt in an old hotel room, thank you so much internet

Sarah Robbins

Reaction score
How would you want them to design it? The way they made it means that it ALWAYS works and seldom leaks. WE are creatures of habit, which is why a greeting card that opens backwards is so hard to figure out.
I would like engraved instructions. I'm grateful finding this forum. I did feel stooopid trying to turn the shower on this morning. Finally, it dawned on me, I can't be the only one. I asked Google which brought me here.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Out of the box, there's a sticker on the spout that tells you how to activate the shower. So, the owner of the place got a heads up. I've been in a few hotels with that, and in at least one, there was a little sign on the wall that told patrons how to do it. If you're mechanically inclined, you tend to figure it out...that ring around the end of the spout is the only thing that could possibly move.

Pgalore300

Reaction score
July 2019... just moved into a townhouse and now I can take a shower and I don't feel so stupid! Thanks all!

Jzx81

Reaction score
How many people will this stupid faucet bite? I am a Systems Engineer, I build cars, bikes, snowmobiles. Everything. What a STUPID design. A sticker does not cut it when you reinvent the wheel. This post saved me. I understand how this is a good design in theory but execution failed if theres this many people who had to Google how to take a shower.

Kizzie Gooden

Reaction score
That’s one way to bring people together lol. I thought I was going crazy because I couldn’t figure out how to turn on a shower in my new apartment. I went to google for answers and ended up here....thanks. This post is still helping in November 2019.

Mr.Chimps

Reaction score
Seconding everyone before me. Thank goodness for this post. Moved into a new place 12/1 and tried everything I could to turn the shower on. And in my defense, I did play with that ring. I just didn't pull it... d'oh. The best-worst part of it all is that I had contacted my landlord insisting that it wasn't working. They of course said it was, and said they'd show me how. 3 days of back and forth later, no one has come by and my third google attempt was finally successful. At this point, I'm not sure why they didn't just tell me how to do it and save us the back and forth. Ah well. Thank you for this post!! it's a lifesaver.

AMC

Reaction score
This post is still saving people in 2020! Thank you! My 20 year old daughter is currently dogsitting and can't get the shower to work. She texted me photos and a video of the knob coming right off when she tried that. Owners were not available for help and I have never seen that type before so I spent 30 minutes googling until I found the right search words to find this post. Most just got me how to reinstall a shower head or knob. Anyway, Thank You!
The invisible ring really needs to be mentioned by owners to guests or they risk the knobs being pulled off by accident

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks