Feeling stupid- can't figure out how to turn on shower...

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Liesel Polizzi, Jul 4, 2006.

1. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    How would you want them to design it? The way they made it means that it ALWAYS works and seldom leaks. WE are creatures of habit, which is why a greeting card that opens backwards is so hard to figure out.

2. fullcollapse

fullcollapse New Member

Registered here simply to say that I am 30 years old, I have a bachelor's degree, a master's degree, I own a house and a car, and I have managed to successfully raise a child to age four and counting, and yet I still needed google to tell me how to bathe in my hotel room this evening. Tonight I go to bed defeated and perplexed, but at least I do not stink. I, and those who will be near me in the morning, thank this thread for existing.

[​IMG]

Terry likes this.
  3. samy

samy New Member

Wow! WE just rented a temporary apartment until we move into to our renovated home. Like others here I own a business , have a masters degree and fumbled for 15 minutes before i decided that Google would probably know. Simply amazing what the power of the web is as this is the first post that comes up. You saved me last night!

Terry likes this.
  4. ShowerStrugglesBeGone

ShowerStrugglesBeGone New Member

October 1st, 2016! Thank you!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2016
  5. hj

Plumber
    quote; Why on earth would they design a shower

BEcause they had a unrealistic opinion about the ability of the users.

6. Anthony Perry

Anthony Perry New Member

Ok, it is October 22, 2016. We just moved into this home and could not figure it out. Thank God for this thread. We took baths for 5 days and then I just knew there had to be a way to turn it on. I didn't have the same keywords in my searches I guess it took me awhile to find this and my answer...but once I did....OMG. Thank You so much. This was originally posted in 2006. Here it is 10 years later and still helping people. ❤

7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

I found this in a Seaside Oregon hotel.

[​IMG]

Pulling down on the ring at the end of the spout diverts the water to the shower head.

8. GKC

GKC New Member

So happy to hear I wasn't the only one who couldn't figure it out. Just moved into a condo - stood ready for a shower, looked everywhere for a lever, a button, a knob - nothing! Thanks to Google and all your comments, I am now feeling less stupid!

Terry likes this.
  9. Rashmi Sathe

Rashmi Sathe New Member

Thank you for posting this. I moved into a house built in 1998 and stumbled upon the same issue. So nice to find an answer here. One can hardly identity that ring at the end of the spout as something that can divert the water to the shower. Your post helped!! Thanks a ton.

Terry likes this.
  10. Coffeekitty

Coffeekitty New Member

Staying in a guest house and I ended up taking a bird bath this morning because neither I nor my roommate could figure out the shower!! Thank you from 2017! I'll be taking a shower tomorrow morning as my hair is a mess!

Terry likes this.
  11. simusphere

simusphere New Member

Been living in my new house for months now but never used the guest bath/shower. Same exact problem: How the heck do you turn the shower on? I kept thinking it was somewhere up by the shower head or something. Couldn't figure it out with out the aid of google and this thread. Thank you very much for the info. Now my guests can actually use the shower.

Terry likes this.
  12. Aroma

Aroma New Member

May 24, 2017 ! This thread is awesome. But this faucet sucks!

Terry likes this.
  13. hj

Plumber
    The person who designed the spout is probably the same one who moved the headlight dimmer switch to the steering wheel, after it had been on the floor board for decades, and didn't tell anyone about doing it.

teichholtz likes this.
  14. Buni566

Buni566 New Member

Jul. 29th, 2017 and this is helping me out for my first shower in America

Terry likes this.
  15. Brenda Cameron

Brenda Cameron New Member

I thank you ,thank you,thank you!!!! It'll be 2 yrs come November I've been off & on trying to figure out how to work my shower but since I am not a shower type of girl I was able to live without it but it just really kept bothering me so I tried it again today and this time I worded it right on Google and bingo:pI think I'll use my shower today

Terry likes this.
  16. Walle321

Walle321 New Member

Thank you, I just bought new house and couldn't figure it out. Ended up running down stairs to the 3/4 bathroom to shower before work yesterday.

How hard would it of been to have "pull down" etched or pressed into the piece?

17. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    When new, the spout has a removable sticker with that exact instruction on it...I've been in a hotel that had a little plaque on the wall telling clients how to do it.

18. teichholtz

teichholtz New Member

Sigh... I can pull an engine out of a car, rebuild it, weld it's frame together and build a new kitchen. And am a software engineer.
    And this page saved me much embarrassment.

September 16, 2017

Terry likes this.
  19. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Old joke:
    How many software engineers does it take to change a light bulb? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  20. Sofie

Sofie New Member

I'm actually in Hawaii right now and I still can't figure out how to use this shower as the faucet is different to the pictures above! Any idea how to turn this one on pls?!

Attached Files: