Feeding two buildings from one meter panel

Users who are viewing this thread

James23912

Reaction score
Kind of confusing, but here goes. I have been living in a trailer for a few years and am now building a house in front of the thing, there is also a 24’ by 40’ garage/metal building, fully equipped. Power is underground and the meter and 200 amp breaker are located on a post near the garage, with two sets of wires coming from the meter box, trailer and house about 75, away, so I am wondering if this means they are piggy backed, meter and panel are sealed so I can’t look. Garage has a 70 amp breaker, trailer is 100 and house is 200, meter panel is 200.

what I am thinking is, if two things can be fed from one box, then could I undo the garage wires and connect the new house wires, not using them until I move and then shutting off power in the trailer. I had been planning on switching the power over when I do finally move but work is slow and probably won’t move til early winter, so if I could connect now it would be much easier. I would have to have the,power co come back at some point to disconnect the trailer wires and hook the garage back up. The house panel would be done before doing anything.

I will be having a licensed guy do the connecting but he gives me the run around when I ask him stuff so I figure I will ask here first

so basically the question is just about attaching two sets of wires to the meter box, I assume what I already have is legal, it was done around 1992, I believe.

I should add that there is a disconnect switch at the meter box

Stuff

Reaction score
The meter should be sealed but not the section with the breaker. That way the power company does not need to come out for what you are proposing. The bottom panel covering the breaker should be removable. Double check. Provide a pic to clarify.

Yes, you can have 2 sets of wires from a meter main but standard is to have a breaker for each feed. Otherwise both feeds would normally need rated for the 200 amp main. If less than 25' to the garage panel there are special tap rules to get around this that you may be configured for.

In most cases with fixed buildings the post would be removed and a new meter installed attached to the house or garage. Then a breaker and 4 wire feed would be used to go from one to the other.

James23912

Reaction score
Hi, thanks, I will try to get a pic tomorrow, the bottom panel has one of those wire thingies as well as does the meter itself, so I didn’t want to cut it, also, it is only about 15’ to the garage sub panel from the post where the meter is. A woman from the power co came out to look things over and said it looks okay, but again, thanks and I will try to get a picture.

James23912

Reaction score
hi again, I tried to load 3 pics but it keeps saying Too Large, even tho I am using the smallest size, anyway, this one shows the lockout at the bottom of the panel in addition to the one on the meter part, I don't know if I shoild cut it or not.

Also wondering if i got the right size wire, the guy at the supply house and some thing I saw online said 2 2 2 4 but it seems awfully small, the meter is about 250' from the road and then it's another 100 to the new house, I will try to lighht a fire on the electrician I work with to hopefully get him to do more than promise to help but i appreciate any input, thanks

Attachments

• 20201012_101404.jpg
    20201012_101404.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 702
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks