Feedback on Hydronic Schematic

Users who are viewing this thread

Davie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a draft schematic drawn up here for my new hydronic system, and I'm looking for some feedback.

Specifically, I wonder if I'm missing anything.

I intend to add an indirect DHW loop off the primary sometime in the future, but for now I'm just focusing on the heating.

schematic.gif
legend.png

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It looks fairly complete.

I'm curious as to why some of the rads have thermostatic radiator valves and others do not- is that to be able tweak in the balance between radiant floor & radiator output in the same room?

Davie

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why some of the rads have thermostatic radiator valves and others do not- is that to be able tweak in the balance between radiant floor & radiator output in the same room?

That's exactly the idea, Dana. Although I'm not totally married to that plan.

My other question is whether I need to have home runs to a manifold for the floors (so I can balance them) or whether I can put everything that is downstream of the zone valves buried in the ceiling.

Second question is where to put monoflo tees and where they aren't needed. I'm guessing I need them at every tee within the zone loops.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The pumping head of radiant floors is typically quite a bit higher than radiators, so running them in parallel the flow will naturally dominate the radiator without needing to resort to monoflow tees. Do the math.

Where radiators are in parallel ball valves or globe valves or mono-flow tees might be a good idea. Plumbing them in series with thermostatic radiator valves for bypassing some/all of the flow to a particular radiator is a common solution built in to many flat panel rads.

Davie

Reaction score
So, if the pumping head of the radiant floors will be higher, then should I have monoflo tees (or ball/globe valves) for the floors? Or should I run separate loops off one 'zone manifold'? e.g. A manifold for the main floor with four loops: three floor loops and one rad loop.

CheesecakeLover

Reaction score
That's an impressive diagram. Did you use a special software for that? BTW, sorry I don't have any answers for your question. I just like your thread because it seems interesting; I have always wondered how to properly balance radiators in parallel.

Davie

Reaction score
That's an impressive diagram. Did you use a special software for that? BTW, sorry I don't have any answers for your question. I just like your thread because it seems interesting; I have always wondered how to properly balance radiators in parallel.

Thanks for the compliment, CCL. I used Adobe InDesign to draw it. I just drew each individual element once, and then copied them for all other instances. If you are interested, I can post the original ".ai" file here for you (and others) to use.

Davie

Reaction score
Here's a new question about this system:

How do I size the pump for the secondary loop?

I understand that the relationship of resistance to flow in a fluid "circuit" is similar to that found in an electrical circuit, i.e. flow resistance decreases when the fluid has more possible paths to follow. So should I be calculating the highest possible resistance? What the system would face if all but the highest resistance zone were closed?

I also understand that I want a flow velocity of between 2 and 4 feet per second. Should I just aim for 3 ft/s at in 1/2" PEX?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks