Federal shower faucet. Terry, have you ever seen this brand of faucet??

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I thought I knew it all until I stumbled into this pig today....
From all outward appearances it appears to be a Delta or Peerless tub and shower faucet...
I am thinking now maybe it is a Valley faucet.... but it is the
very first one I have ever come across....

I had to cut the cam off the faucet because it was from about 1969 or so and would not move..... then I knew I was boned......

It looks like some proto-type for the Delta 600 faucet but the brass ball is welded into the body and this SS cup slides over the ball with the delta washers and springs inside the ball

I have never in my life seen one of these... and I am wondering what brand it is.....

federal-faucet-01.jpg

federal-faucet-02.jpg

federal-faucet-03.jpg

federal-faucet-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
It appears to be Delta's old 'two piece ball' which has come apart. Pull the other half out of the valve body.

Nope ,, the 2 piece balls were all made of plastic... please take a closer look....

the brass ball is solid and soldered into the body with the washers facing outward......

Now, if it were a Delts 600, the washers should be built into the back end of the body of the faucet with a heavy , loose, brass ball with a shaft on it for the handle to fit on....

this SS cone has the handle for the faucet on the back side being held by me and that
cone floats over thew washers sitting on springs inside that brass ball built into the
body of the faucet..............

federal-faucet-02.jpg

HJ,,,,, If I got you stumped, then its a very rare one......

Last edited by a moderator:

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a Federal shower faucet and the valve body is solid brass. All you should need is to use 0000 steel wool on the control cap and replace the seats and springs which are the same as Delta. I still have about 25 control caps in a bin.
Federal faucet was a division of UNR located in Paris, Illinois

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
This is a Federal shower faucet and the valve body is solid brass. All you should need is to use 0000 steel wool on the control cap and replace the seats and springs which are the same as Delta. I still have about 25 control caps in a bin.
Federal faucet was a division of UNR located in Paris, Illinois

Thanks for your information,,,,, you are the only one on 2 sites that I posted this about that knew anything about this faucet..... I wonder when and where they were popular???

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Federals run was approx mid 60's until mid 70's. They were distributed through local building supply and hardware stores. There was some kind of connection between themselves and Delta. Federal seats and springs were part # 4993 and Deltas was RP4993. Same as a cartridge for a 2 handle faucet. Federal part # 25-1740 and Delta RP1740. But Federal offered a line of stainless steel sinks and Delta never did. I suspect Delta was their demise. Shortly after here come Peerless faucet by Delta.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks