Fe & Mn under 1 ppm but still over limits for drinking water

Users who are viewing this thread

J

Judy.M

Hello all,

Would you please share your opinion what solution would be the best for well water which has these parameters?

Fe 0.22 mg/l
Mn 0.374 mg/l
pH 7.11

KNK 4,5 2.35 mmol/l
CHSK Mn 0.05 mg/l
Total hardness 1.05 mmol/l
Dissolved solids (105 °C) 190 mg/l
Cl- 1.70 mg/l
PO4 3- 0.44 mg/l
NO3- < 1.00
NO2- 0.014 mg/l
NH4+ 0.01 mg/l
No issues with bacteria

The water looks completely clear after filling but after a few hours it changes slightly to yellow-grey color. There are yellow stains in sinks, shower corner and muddy deposits in pipes after 6 months of using it. It has no odour, only warm or hot water coming through boiler has egg odour. It tastes a bit metallic but it is drinkable of sorts.

I have decided to buy a filter which will help me to get rid of the iron and manganese but I do not know which would be the best and most effective from longer point of view. I want the backwash water to use for irrigation of lawns and hedge in the garden so it should not contain much of chlorine or salt, I guess.

First I liked oxidation with ozone but found out that there are nearly no products for use at home. Than I thought of H2O2 but it is not right for manganese. So it remains only oxidation with air, chlorine, permanganate or using of a softener with salt. I also do not know if a coated grains like Greensand would be sufficient or rather manganese dioxide should be used for such smaller amounts.

Thank you very much for your help,
Judy

Reach4

Reaction score
Mn 0.374 mg/l is a nasty amount of manganese, not a small amount. Did you mean Mg (magnesium), I hope?

Then you referred to CHSK Mn 0.05 mg/l. What is that? That would be a much more tolerable number if that is your Mn. What is CHSK?

With 0.05 mg/l Mn and Fe 0.22 mg/l and 6 grains hardness, a full size softener (1.5 cubic ft of resin and 10x54 inch tank) would probably do it for a house. I am not a pro, and maybe there are factors I am missing. If the Mn is 0.374 mg/l, then I am not sure.

If you really want to use the backwash water for your yard, then maybe Katalox Light could do it for the Mn and the Fe. I don't know what oxidants you might need to add for that. Air would seem good for putting the backwash into the yard.

For those reading along, 1.05 mmol/l hardness is about 6 grains.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Judy,
I deleted the account before seeing it was a real question. Go ahead and sign back up if you want to continue the questions and answers.
Terry Love

Judy.M

Reaction score
Heslo Terry, thank you, I am back.

Reach4,
Unfortunatelly, Mn 0.374 mg/l is really manganese. I stopped considering it now as a small amount. CHSK Mn should be chemical oxygen demand.

Judy.M

Reaction score
Hello,

Please do you think a softener based on ion-exchange would be the best solution for my problem above (Fe 0.22 mg/l, Mn 0.374 mg/l, pH 7.11)?

Thank you,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks