Favorite Thermostatic Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I posted in another thread that I've been having trouble replacing the seat on an old gerber 3 handle. I'm thinking in may be time for an upgrade. The tile is a fairly easy match, and it's a rental unit at a price point where perfection is not critical.

So my question is what shower valve would you recommend? I'm looking for a thermostatic shower valve. There's a tub, so it needs a diverter. Other than that, I'd like the cartridges to be easy to change, and the installation to be not more complicated than standard. It doesn't have to be dirt cheap. I'd like to do a nice job and have a nice result and some decent trim options, but at the end of the day it's not a fancy place. Let me know what you like!

Thanks!

DIY

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My first experience with a thermostatically controlled shower valve was in a hotel in London and the valve was a Grohe. I ended up buying one for myself when I did a remodel. I've been satisfied with it, and it still looks like new.

Delta's seem to get some good reports, but I've not used one. The cartridges on thermostatically controlled valves can be expensive when they go. Mine is still going after about 15-years, but I did have to change the volume control cartridge. It wasn't cheap, either.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I have a Grohe sink and found the parts a little pricey and hard to get compared to other brands, but I see the Delta isn't cheap. The Grohe looks good as does the delta. Are there any more budget options or is it not worth going cheaper?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Thermostatically controlled valves are always going to be more expensive than more conventional ones. But, in most designs, they also can flow more water than the other styles. I read the Delta specs, and at least on theirs, this is true by a decent percentage. Makes for filling the tub faster and, if you have more than one shower head going, can help there as well.

I don't have personal experience with others. I do know from the Delta and Grohe stuff I've installed in my and my mother's house (she preferred Delta), I think that the finish on the Grohe stuff is more durable. They all have some plastic in them to keep the handle from getting too hot to touch, but where it is used, and the quality of the finish seems better on Grohe to me.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
As a combination join-in and hijack, what do you pros think of the Symmons Temptrol shower valve?

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks