Faucet water flow issue - Obvious answer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Good day to all.

Situation:

My small upstairs full bath was remodeled about two years ago (two-level townhouse). The vanity and the faucet were replaced but I believe that the faucet came packaged with the vanity and the top.

I've been getting complaints from my stepdaughter about the low rate of water flow from the sink faucet. She's right. Compared to all other faucets in the house, the flow is substantially lower but it seems to be (barely) sufficient to me. But, of course, I'm going to need to fix the problem.

Before I spend good money on another faucet, I'd like for one of you good people to comment on potential other causes of this problem. I would greatly appreciate it.

I checked the connections from the 1/2 turn sharkbites to the faucet and didn't find any kink that would affect the water flow. Since the reduced water flow for both the hot and cold is essentially identical, I assume that the valves are probably not part of the problem.

Although I'm ignorant of how plumbing is laid out in a house I'm guessing that there isn't anything upstream that would possibly be a problem - true?

I would appreciate comments but regardless, I sincerely appreciate what you guys/gals do to help out the ignorant.

With my regards,

Andy

Reach4

Reaction score
I've been getting complaints from my stepdaughter about the low rate of water flow from the sink faucet. She's right. Compared to all other faucets in the house, the flow is substantially lower but it seems to be (barely) sufficient to me. But, of course, I'm going to need to fix the problem.
Is the flow about as bad for warm as for cold or hot? That would point to a clogged aerator.

I understand the faucet came with a new aerator, but maybe some debris was in the path.

delta-aerator-with-tool.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WHen you screwed on the supply hoses to the faucet, if you used some PTFE tape, you may have created a problem...those hoses usually have a gasket in them for sealing, and adding tape can sometimes cause a leak, or, in your case, partially block the flow.

The other thing is that when remodeling, it's a good idea to flush the lines. As was mentioned, the easiest thing is to remove the aerator, and verify that it's clean.

While there is a maximum volume allowed on vanity faucets sold in the USA, there is no minimum, so that one might have been designed to have a lower volume...you might just get a stopwatch and a bucket and actually measure the volume you're getting out of the thing...it can't be more than (I think) 2.2gpm. SOme of that is based on what supply pressure you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks