Faucet starts dripping on its own?

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkT

Reaction score
My wife and I have separate bathrooms, but she walks by mine on the way out of the bedroom. Every few days, she notices the sink in my bathroom is dripping (or even running at a slow trickle). When this happens, she of course thinks I am being careless about turning the faucet off, and she lets me know it rather enthusiastically. Now, I am the first to admit that I am absent-minded and capable of leaving the faucet on. However, since she scolds me rather severely every time it happens, I am being VERY careful to make sure the faucet is off when I leave the bathroom. I think it's fairly unlikely that I'm leaving it running. But I have to admit, I don't know how it would start by itself, and she doesn't use that sink. Does anybody else have any other explanation, other than that I have to be even more careful?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From the valve to the end of the spout, depending on the design, can hold water for awhile (like a finger over a straw), but eventually, it will leak out. That may be what she is seeing. It could also be a defective cartridge in the faucet. It may be totally normal.

MarkT

Reaction score
Thanks! Here's a picture. Does it help?

IMG_2539.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There should be no functional reason for that faucet to suddenly turn itself on, but if the internal mechanism is failing, it may NOT turn all the way off every time you lower the handle, (I have one like that I will repair today). AS for the "enthusiastic reminder", I have one like that also. She tells me every time she has to do something, or tells me about it and then leaves if for me to do, but when she leaves a light on, or something, I just turn it off, period.

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
AS for the "enthusiastic reminder", I have one like that also. She tells me every time she has to do something, or tells me about it and then leaves if for me to do, but when she leaves a light on, or something, I just turn it off, period.

You must be married to my wife's twin sister. :)

I get sarcastic enthusiastic comments whenever to soft close toilet seat is found in the up position. I explain to her that the dog must have done it after drinking at the well. ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks