Faucet makes odd humming noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwray

Reaction score
I installed a new Moen kitchen faucet for my father-in-law a few months ago. All is well except that the faucet makes a low humming noise in a particular position.

This particular position is to the hot side of center and about half flow volume. More or less flow or different hot/cold mix position and the noise goes away. Unfortunately this is the exact postion he always uses when doing the dishes.

I've replaced a few faucets before and never had any problems. This one seems kind of wierd.

We just visited again this weekend and I was at a loss as to how to fix it. I tried taking the cartridge out and putting it back in hoping that it might "reseat". No luck.

I reached under the sink and wrapped my hand around the supply stop. On the hot side you can actually feel the slight vibration that is causing the humming noise.

I had one other thought. When I did the faucet I also replaced the supply lines with braided stainless supply lines. We saw lines that had some built in valves that are supposed to stop the water flow if the line were to ever burst. My father-in-law and I thought this sounded like a good idea so we bought those and used them. This is the first time I've used this type of supply.

Now I'm wondering if it is possible that the little in-line "leak prevention valve" could be causing the noise, i.e. an internal part in the valve vibrating at this particular water flow rate?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joel

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Could be, try replacing it and see what happens, this is the first place I would start as your only looking at $4-5.00 for a new flex line.

holowinko

Reaction score
Try opening or closing the shut off valves under the cabinet a little bit and see if that helps. Sometimes if the valve is not opened all the way the washer vibrates.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks