Faucet leaking down the drain lever

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a model P0152C Widespread Lavatory Faucet from Strom Plumbing by Sign of the Crab It has developed a leak from the bottom of the faucet where the rod comes through to connect the linkage for moving the drain stopper up and down. It's just a drop every 5 to 10 seconds. Any idea where to start troubleshooting this one?

Thnks,
Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes trow it in the trash, !
And get a good moen or delta cartridge faucet and live happily ever after

Lakee911

Reaction score
What are you talking about? It says right there on their website that "Each fixture is a reflection of [their] relentless pursuit of quality and improvement." Furthermore, "[they] have traveled tirelessly to find [their] items, to keep [their] quality high and to keep [their] pledge to [me]: [They] will continue to search the world for the highest quality products and the best people to serve [me]." This has to be as good as Moen or Delta! Has to be!

Oh wait, here it is ... "We sell only to the plumbing trade and there is no direct purchasing by retail customers." I think that is because a real plumber will know how to fix a defective product. :)

Ok, all kidding aside ... I really like the faucet. It's very sharp looking and matches the look of the bathroom and style of the house. So... need to somehow fix it.

It appears the drip is coming from the spout and not traveling down the linkage from the drain. I wouldn't think the supply passage in the spout would even be connected to the passage for the rod to pull up the drain. Maybe I need to disassemble and see what's up?

Edit: Sorry, missed HJ's response ... that's no good. Could it be a manufacturing defect, or likely something from installation back in the day? Any way of fixing it (and possibly losing the drain stopping function)?

Thx,
Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a hole in your sink top where the spout connection comes up from the tee, and the drain actuator lever goes down. It is wide open, so if water gets in there, well down it goes. There are two possibilities:
> the spout is not sealed to the deck. splashy water seeps in under.
> there is a leak where the spout connects to the riser tube. That may be a seal, like an o-ring, or a defect like a bad solder joint or cracked fitting or tube. If you do not have a parts breakdown, you will need to call them or get a plumber in who is willing to spend some time trouble shooting, then coming back again with parts.

If you cruise this forum, you will find that many of us have a low opinion of what we call "foo-foo" brands, for reasons of lack of tech support, poor parts availability, and often lack of quality.

Lakee911

Reaction score
Ya, this is a foo foo brand for sure. Expensive though--you'd think one would get what he/she pays for. I'll disassemble and see what I got. I didn't see a parts diagram online and I don't think the manufacturer wants to deal with customers...

I saw the receipt in the stack of papers from the PO ... I don't think it's too old, but I'll need to check the age. I have a home warranty, but it does say for faucets that it will be replaced with "chrome builders standard." Maybe if its under warranty still they can get the part and cover the labor too.

Thanks.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I think that is because a real plumber will know how to fix a defective product

You are kidding right? The ONLY way I "fix" a defective product is to return it. Otherwise, when it DOES fail, I have assumed the responsibility and cost for making it right. That "stem" is "sealed" into the spout and IF you try to remove it it will break off completely. Even if you did get it apart, there is no way you will be able to purchase the new piece you would need. You need a new spout or new faucet.

Lakee911

Reaction score
Yes, I was...there was a smiley. I found a parts diagram, but haven't tackled it yet.

Lakee911

Reaction score
What I had meant is, the manufacturer could perhaps cover the part under their warranty and my home warranty plan could cover the labor. But...no need now.

I took it apart tonight and there is a cross fitting at the bottom. Supply from the handles come in to two sides and the top goes to the spout. The bottom has a threaded shaft from the spout sticking out--this is where the drain rod goes up through. A rubber bushing with a washer gets sandwhiched between the cross and a nut. This seals the bottom.

The rubber bushing (more like a square oring) had a small tear in it. I tried a couple places here in town and couldn't locate it. Finally I decided to flip it over, snug it up real well and it worked.

I would have taken pictures, but I worked up behind the sink where it was too tight to see well. Hopefully this thread will help someone.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Jason

Michael O'Flaherty

Reaction score
Gonna bump this because it was the only answer i could find to a very similar problem. Thanks to the OP for the question and answer (in spite of the lack of help). I don't think the details of the part are the same but i too had to take the cross fitting (or whatever that coupling is called) apart and in my case rebuild my own bushing/washer. The nut on the bottom compresses the washer/bushing, which swells out against the threaded copper shaft and makes a tight seal. I went to an old fashioned plumbing supply store and they had no idea how to replace or repair the cross fitting. Respect to the OP for working on the sink while it was still installed!

Attachments

• IMG_6305.JPG
    IMG_6305.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 453

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Often the cross fitting piece only fits that one faucet. There isn't a generic fitting you can buy for that.
And yes, the rubber washer does the sealing, not the tape.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks