Faucet handle slides down

Users who are viewing this thread

Xenomorph

Reaction score
I am stumped by this one:

I replaced the cartridge in a moen monticello kitchen faucet to repair a leak, but now the weight of the handle causes the handle to slide down to the off position once you move the handle up to the on position and let go of it. I noticed that the stem of the cartridge moves in and out of the cartridge fairly easy...something that I noticed because it was alot easier than the moen shower cartridges I have installed before. Is this just a defect in the cartridge...or is there some other reason why this is happening? The support guy at moen thinks that the cartridge is fine and that the ease of movement of the stem is not an issue.

Thx.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would take out the new cartridge and remove some of the plumber's grease.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Verdeboy, it is most likely the type of cartridge being used. The plastic ones are molded and the tolerances are not as close as the brass ones. Then you add the silicone that is on them and they will tend to slip. Most will eventually hold. It's just a PITB for a while. Sometimes running the hot water and working the handle up and down will help. Or change it to brass.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
moen

That is probably one of the cartridges that if you put it in a bath/shower faucet it would turn itself on. The stem is moving too freely. Either take it apart and "degrease" it, or use a new stem. Some kitchen faucets, due to the placement of the upper "O" ring on the plastic cartridge will not work with a brass stem.

Xenomorph

Reaction score
Yes it is a plastic cartridge with brass stem.

I have removed most of the external grease. I guess I will try to remove some more and try to run hot water.

Thx for suggestions.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
In other words, take the cartridge apart and remove the grease on the inside.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Contact Moen regarding this problem; they are already aware of this problem with the Monticellos and will send you a spacer that goes on top of the cartridge and stiffens the movement without removing that much needed grease for operation down the road.

They have been having problems with them from the word go. My first one was in 2003.

Call back Moen again; you ended up with someone who doesn't know their product issues very well. The one I talked to back in 03 knew exactly my problem and sent the spacer like it was second nature.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks