Fan rated ceiling boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
And again with the rigid conduit. Of course the two ceiling lights are the hubs of the conduit, with four lengths of conduit each running into them. The customer wants ceiling fans.

I have never seen any deep boxes that have a conventional five knock-out pattern on the back, that are rated for ceiling fans.

But that certainly does not mean that they do not exist. I would dearly love not to have to cut the conduit up.

How in the world a house was wired in rigid, I don't care to think. Back when ships were wood and men were iron.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Just remember the fan can be hung independent to the box or in other words hang it from a strut or something other than the box.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I'd kill to see an illustration.

And a code citation would go a long way.
422.18 Support of Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fans. See related UL

Ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be supported independently of an outlet box or by listed outlet box or outlet box systems identified for the use and installed in accordance with 314.27(C).

Reaction score

Ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be supported independently of an outlet box or by listed outlet box or outlet box systems identified for the use and installed in accordance with 314.27(C).

Cool. A citation is a start.

Now. How is it done?

Reaction score

Whoa. Two 2x4s sandwiching the octagonal box, tightly, secured to the ceiling joists, with the fan yolk lag bolted into the 2x4s?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks