Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Fake toilet reviews everywhere. I found this disclaimer on a review page:

fake-toilet-reviews.com currently has affiliate relationships, where we receive referral commission payments from a number of manufacturers, either directly or through third parties like Amazon. Some of the brands include (but not limited to) Kohler, Toto, American Standard and others.

From another page giving reviews.

XXXXX is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Many of the review websites originate from Asia and Africa. I doubt the the reviewers have even seen the products that they are reviewing and commenting on. They do get to earn commissions when people click on the links and buy products here in North America.

A Washington Post examination found that for some popular product categories, such as bluetooth headphones and speakers, the vast majority of reviews appear to violate Amazon’s prohibition on paid reviews. They have certain characteristics, such as repetitive wording that people likely cut and paste in.
And yet, there are websites that provide reviews and consumer guides that mention in their legalize that they are in fact earning commissions from Amazon. It appears that there is a good market to encourage fake reviews, or am I wrong. Doesn't have to be fake I guess, just a review, no matter how lacking in credibility.

A friend of mine thinking about selling on Amazon was told to get ten of her friends to write reviews. Not ten users, ten of her friends. I sometimes look at the new web sites popping up with reviews using bad grammar and the wild guessing as to what someone in North America would want in their homes. Some products are those rare 1% or less things that nobody would have a need for, and yet touted as a very good choice for any bathroom. I read that and laugh. If they only knew how silly some of their reviews sound. Many of our plumbing products here are very different from what the reviewers have seen or used.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...e-facebook-to-flood-amazon-with-fake-reviews/

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
That's why I always ignore all reviews that don't say "verified purchase".

Home Depot has a pernicious "seeds" program where people get a free product in return for "posting an honest review", but many reviewers have said that their membership in Seeds is cancelled if they offer a bad review. Swell. So now I look at all HD reviews that say "seeds" on them and just ignore them. It's terrible.

Desert Lion

Reaction score
Fake reviews and click farms are well known. If you search on click farms you can read lots of articles about them. It's getting harder and harder to get real information from any Web searches. Almost every result is a paid ad, propaganda, or an attempt for you to go to some other review site.

I posted an unflattering review of a (non-plumbing) product I bought at Costco on the Costco Web site. As per their site, it took several days for them to post my review. They posted exactly what I wrote. A day later a manufacturer's representative E-mailed me personally asking how they could help me. So not every site posts fake reviews, but many do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks