Fair Plumbing Charges/Practices

Users who are viewing this thread

senilegentleman

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I have just recently moved to an apartment unit and immediately the property manager said that I have a leaking problem, he scheduled his go-to plumber and ask me to let the plumber inspect my unit when I was away. He later call me and said I gotta fix the problem next day for the safety of the apartment. I listened to him and wanted peace, so I thought going with his plumber is a good choice... but unfortunately this leads to nothing but fustration.

Turns out that the plumber is very difficult to communicate with, He was late for 2 hours, fair enough, its hard to estimate time on the job, but all he did was remove a strainer valve, put some sealant and then put it back on. He was only at my apartment for 15 minutes but charged for $452.

After the job he took the money and left, I chase after him at the doorway for an invoice and he said he will give it to me later. I let him go. (I was expecting the plumber would be able to provide the invoices on the day of service.) But I have to ask their head office for the bills after several days of waiting. When I received the invoices, the entire billing outlined is a big surprise: Charges are arbitrary on the $452 invoice, he did not perform the work mentioned on the receipt, he never removed the bathtub but he claimed he had to install it back on and charged the service for it. On top of that, the plumbing company also tack on another suprise invoice for "inspection" for $293...

First of all, I did not get to choose the plumber of choice to begin with, also this plumber certainly didnt tell me there is a charge for the inspection when the manager let him inspect my unit, nor did he mention it during the "repair work". Also I cannot imagine he did work for 3 hour during the "inspection" to charged.

With all these trouble, I plan to dispute that inspection bill, but does anyone have any strategy on how to speak with them?

This happens in Toronto, Canada. But any interpersonal strategy is welcomed as I am currently nothing but fustrated. Cant think straight.

If there are other places I can ask this question, please let me know also! Thanks!

This is the Repair Receipt
BUHMY.png

This is the Inspection Receipt
BUHOT.png

Last edited:

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
When you say Apartment does that mean rent? Or does it mean lease?
I have no idea about housing laws in Canada but here if it is a rental then the Owner is responsible for repairs.
You said you just moved in and the receipt says the damage is several months old, which came first?
In your rental/lease agreement how are repairs addressed?
That to me is a lot of money but I was not there to see exactly what the repairman did to speak to whether it is a proper charge.
Is it enough for you to go to court over? that is your call.

senilegentleman

Reaction score
I have no idea about housing laws in Canada but here if it is a rental then the Owner is responsible for repairs.
You said you just moved in and the receipt says the damage is several months old, which came first?
That to me is a lot of money but I was not there to see exactly what the repairman did to speak to whether it is a proper charge.

Hi! thanks for the reply!
I own this apartment unit. Purchased in January 19, and then subsequently they let me know about these issues in February.
They also tacked on another bill for painiting the lower floor for 600 dollars. So yes, I really dont know if I have a chance to win over this without much evidence as they could have used any photo to say that it was the unit below. How do we know anything really happened below if they all agree to lie about it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, I am sure they did NOT "remove" the bathtub, so I don't know what that means, but a lot of the rest of it sounds like "dazzling you with brilliance or baffling you with B.S."

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score

Wow, I'm stunned as well. I also know nothing about Canadian housing laws, but back in the 1980s, my business partner and I ran a business in an old (early 1900s) duplex storefront that we rented month to month (no lease). We were there about 10 years and always paid the rent on the first, but the owner of the property eventually turned the property over to her daughter. The daughter wanted us to sign what's known as a triple net lease, meaning *we* would have to pay the property tax for our side, insurance on the building, and pay any maintenance and repairs to it in addition to the rent. This building still had knob and tube wiring for Pete's sake, and God knows how old the roof or plumbing was... We declined and moved to an office suite that was a little more than we were paying, but included central air and heat, so it netted out a bit less per month.. That rent was empty for at least 5 years before she opened a book shop herself in our old space.

John

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
First, find out if the "plumber" is licensed if so contact the plumbing industry board.

Second, ask to see his certificate of insurance

In civilized countries, there are consumer affairs, BBB etc.

Also, some other countries have lawyers and these lawyers hire expert witnesses to go after those low lives that rip off the consumer

Nebojsa

Reaction score
So you bought it. Are you paying maintenance fees? If yes, you have a condominium. If yes, then you must know who is responsible for what.
RENTAL leases in Ontario fall in two categories. Month to month or yearly. This is not a rental where the Landlord has to fix it, not you.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a very old and dead post. But what has a strainer overflow? They repaired the overflow or the strainer or both?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks