Failure rate for zone valves

Users who are viewing this thread

djdavenport

Reaction score
I'm trying to puzzle through an issue with a zone that seems to be under-performing.

The system: 1,800 sq foot house. 3 zones, one large, two smaller. Radiant in slab. Boiler is a NCB 240e. Zone controllers are Erie. Pump is a Taco 007.

What's happening: System is working great, with ONE exception. Long burn times. Very stable temperature. But one zone seems to have a problem. If only that zone calls for heat, the boiler will almost always short cycle very quickly. Also, the zone struggles to keep up. When I flushed the system, I noticed that that same zone seems to have less flow. Didn't measure it, but seemed pretty obvious.

The zone is half carpet and half tile. The tile portion is warmer than the rest of the tile in other zones (when all are calling for heat)--82 degrees versus 77. However, the carpet portion is noticeably cooler--75 versus 71.

Questions:

1.) If it is a flow problem, could it be the zone valve? The head seems to work fine, actuates the valve, etc. But could there be an issue with the valve body itself?

2.) Assuming the tile portion of the zone is closest to the boiler, would reduced flow release more heat in that area (and leave the carpeted section--which is furtherest away--cooler?)

3.) Do radiant systems ever simply clog up? If so, what then?

I'd really appreciate any advice--and anything I could do to test it further.

Tnx, guys (and gals)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks