Failed plumbing inspection, need some ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
To my understanding, all a trap adapter does is provide 1.25" (or 1.5") MIP threads, for a slip joint nut and a rubber washer. So if you have 1.25" MIP threads already, you don't need anything else.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
So why does that part exist?
My prioritized, somewhat fanciful, list:
  1. Some people are used to needing a trap adapter.
  2. Avoid adding galvanized
  3. Appease ignorant inspectors
  4. Handle buggered-up pipe end like this one?
  5. Sticks out of wall less than coupler+nipple
  6. Fit on schedule 120 threaded pipe

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
on a real job you do need a trap adapter . house plumbing and repair work excluded. Go on a hospital or a school institution you wont be using a nipple with a slip nut and washer only. just the way it is I guess proper connection don't even remember why but you always use a trap adapter.
I'm glad inspector passed job for you

Reach4

Reaction score
on a real job you do need a trap adapter .
From what I read in other posts, if you have a 1.5 inch MIP pipe coming out of the wall, you don't normally put a trap adapter on that, but just use the nut and washer.

I did not know that, and I ended up chasing down that elusive 1.5 FIP/SlipJoint trap adapter. I got a 1.5 NPT die. I tried to chase threads. And I ended up cracking the cast iron santee applying a lot more torque to the copper trap adapter than needed.

I tried to fill the crack with J-B Weld. Seems everybody likes that but me. Did not stick to the cast iron. Leaked.

But probably for the best, because the galvanized below that santee was pretty clogged up. I ended up running plastic with a coupled of couplings. Sure would have been much easier and cheaper if I just did that to begin with.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
From what I read in other posts, if you have a 1.5 inch MIP pipe coming out of the wall, you don't normally put a trap adapter on that, but just use the nut and washer.

I did not know that, and I ended up chasing down that elusive 1.5 FIP/SlipJoint trap adapter. I got a 1.5 NPT die. I tried to chase threads. And I ended up cracking the cast iron santee applying a lot more torque to the copper trap adapter than needed.

I tried to fill the crack with J-B Weld. Seems everybody likes that but me. Did not stick to the cast iron. Leaked.

But probably for the best, because the galvanized below that santee was pretty clogged up. I ended up running plastic with a coupled of couplings. Sure would have been easier and cheaper if I just did that to begin with.
haven't had a much trouble with nipples but have been forced to use a trap adapter before by inspector or job specs on the high dollar pickey ones. We call them a desanco trap adapter don't have the link

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks