Fabricating a washer pan (for emergency during washing machine leak)

Users who are viewing this thread

mishyq

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning to fabricate a washer pan (30"x29.5")

But I realized some work done recently might have create challenges in this regard

My plumber drill a hole at the top right corner of my very narrow closet, which is newly laid with tiles ---- so i really dont want to drill another hole to make this work. This closet is used as laundry room for stackable machines. the hole drilled is abt 2 inch diameter. the problem right now is i need to find a flange that works with a 1-inch or 2-inch PVC pipe, so that i can hook it up to a stainless steel washer pan (to be fabricated with a hole at the top right corner) then connect it to an emergency PVC pipe.

i am talking abt something like that: http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings-PVC-Pipe-Fittings-Fittings-Flanges/N-5yc1vZbuvl

can anyone tell me where can i find a 1-inch or 2-inch PVC pipe flange?

the ones i seen out there seems to be 3-inch or 4-inch only??

because of this mistake in drilling hole at the wrong spot - i guess i would have to then cover the hole with a shower strainer (otherwise washer leg cannot sit on a leveled surface but will dip down into this hole)

please advice me on this predicament, thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
A closet flange ( toilet flange) is not designed to seal the area that it sits on. It is made to help make a seal to what sits on it. So if you found what would essentially a mini closet flange, I would expect a leak.

You would come closer with a shower drain. But there might be some bulkhead fitting that would be even better.

mishyq

Reaction score
Thank you again Reach4.

Can something like this work? http://www.nationalbuildersupply.co...av-grid-1-1-4-in-contractor-pack-1736/p473979
what is the black rubber piece in the middle of this item? can that be removed or shaved down? i am a little worried it wont fit into my hole otherwise.

What is bulkhead fitting?
I would ideally want nothing to protrude out of drain hole (needs to be flush with upperside of base of washer pan) so not sure what this bulkhead fitting is about?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you are asking . Are you using a pan under the washer, or are you using a tile floor with a floor drain in it? Or both? Did your plumber imbed a pipe in the tile, or just leave a hole there? If your plumber drill a hole in the top right of the closet, wouldn't that be like eight feet off the floor? Where is the top right corner of your SS pan? Help us out, here.
Reach is the only person who can understand you.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know where the pipe goes, or if there's access underneath, but the drainpipe is the heart and soul of the whole project, not something to be tacked on later. That being said, I did run across a situation where the tile guy (I guess) had imbedded a drain into the tile on a drop-in tub platform. Some Alferd Einstein had decided to add a regular shower to the platform/drop-in tub installation. That left a ditch between the tub flange and the wall where, naturally, a great deal of water would accumulate from the shower spray. He imbedded something like a bar sink, or vessel sink drain down into the tile, and ran a dishwasher hose over to a tee in the overflow pipe from there. Worked fine until it stopped up and the lady of the house punctured it with a coat hanger. Welcome to my world.

Anyway, since you're way past putting a regular floor drain in there, I think, maybe the lavatory drain could work out for you. Use one that is NOT for a sink with the overflow. You'll want one like they use for handicap accessible sinks, or maybe vessel sinks. You shouldn't need a metal pan there also, if the tile pan is done correctly.

mishyq

Reaction score
My responses in bold

Not sure exactly what you are asking . Are you using a pan under the washer, or are you using a tile floor with a floor drain in it? Or both? There is a tile floor but it's not graded for floor drain. Which is why I think I need to fabricate a pan for use under washer.

Did your plumber imbed a pipe in the tile, or just leave a hole there? just leave a hole there, at the top right corner of the closet's floor. i think he made a mistake but refuse to admit to it. i believe he should have drilled the hole in the middle of closet bc the closet space can only fit a 30"x29.5" pan

Thus my question is can somehting like that work - to put through the hole of stainless steel pan, and through the hole on the tile floor? and then under the tile floor (i.e., into the crawl space), i hook up a L-shape drain pipe to get the water out of the exterior of the house
http://www.nationalbuildersupply.co...av-grid-1-1-4-in-contractor-pack-1736/p473979

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
My responses in bold

Not sure exactly what you are asking . Are you using a pan under the washer, or are you using a tile floor with a floor drain in it? Or both? There is a tile floor but it's not graded for floor drain. Which is why I think I need to fabricate a pan for use under washer.

Did your plumber imbed a pipe in the tile, or just leave a hole there? just leave a hole there, at the top right corner of the closet's floor. i think he made a mistake but refuse to admit to it. i believe he should have drilled the hole in the middle of closet bc the closet space can only fit a 30"x29.5" pan

Thus my question is can somehting like that work - to put through the hole of stainless steel pan, and through the hole on the tile floor? and then under the tile floor (i.e., into the crawl space), i hook up a L-shape drain pipe to get the water out of the exterior of the house
http://www.nationalbuildersupply.co...av-grid-1-1-4-in-contractor-pack-1736/p473979
I think it all depends on whether or not you have enough room to make the situation work out, as is. If possible, you might could install the metal pan and route a drain pipe over to the hole, then down into the crawlspace. A specially fabricated SS pan would be very nice, but pricey. The fabricator would need to know the correct size hole to punch into the side of the pan. Measure the hole in the water heater pan down at HDepot and start there. Then purchase the same size PVC male adapter (3/4 or 1"), a rubber washer, and an electrical locknut to secure the adapter to the side of the pan. From there just glue up your pipe and fittings and run it down through the hole and ultimately to the outside. Or just buy an aluminum pan that's already fixed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks