Extremely loud rattling sound during regeneration

Users who are viewing this thread

mrt049

Reaction score
This has happened with the past couple of regenerations but does not happen every time. My water softener regenerates every 3 nights at 3:00am. About 20 minutes before completion it sounds like a rattling/shaking sound and it wakes me up in a panic. I don't know if it's the pipes in the wall rattling or the actual softener but I have no clue what it could be. Do I need to have a professional come out and repair it or is this something that can be fixed pretty easily?

It doesn't sound like water hammer because it's not a tapping noise, it's a jarring sound like something being shaken up that lasts for about a second.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Do I need to have a professional come out and repair it or is this something that can be fixed pretty easily?
I used to have an old Autotrol that would howl loudly during the backwash, but that is the beginning of the cycle.

What is your softener, and how old is it?

mrt049

Reaction score
I used to have an old Autotrol that would howl loudly during the backwash, but that is the beginning of the cycle.

What is your softener, and how old is it?

I'm not 100% on the model because there are no markings on it at all. But this is my setup. The pressure tank is off to the left of this pic.
MLKekL7.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Interestingly, that softener controller appears to be an Autotrol Logix 740.

Looking around, I find people saying that a faulty air check valve can cause a noise problem well into the cycle. It may be that your air check valve is admitting a lot of air. When the next cycle stops, the big vibration/noise is generated.

In some Autotrol valves, the air check is part of the controller, but I don't see that in your photo. So yours is probably in your brine tank. You can replace the air check valve to see. Or get it replace by a professional.

https://www.softenerparts.com/kb_results.asp?ID=23

Incidentally, the Iron Boss iron+sulfur filter's tank needs repainting to protect it from UV, or get a tank cover for that. I also think that both controllers should have covers to protect them from UV, although I am not sure that the Iron Boss does not already have a UV resistant cover. A cover on each would not hurt.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The rattle is from the Autotrol. A valve rebuild will usually fix this problem. This is a common problem with the flapper valve design of the Autotrol. The Flapper design is one of the simplest designs and very durable but when the valve tries to close sometimes they will rattle/vibrate violently. The materials have changed over the years to mitigate this but as you can tell, it still occurs.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you detect air in your water after a softener regen, I would look to the air check. Otherwise, rebuild. Some people reverse the flappers in the Autotrol to get some more time on the old ones. But if you are getting in there, putting in new parts would be a better use of your time if your time is more limited.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Flipping the valves.., done that a few times. Never a good idea but... when you are an hour away and your out of rebuild kits... it works.
I would rebuild the valve and replace the aircheck. These parts are fairly inexpensive and will refresh your system to near new condition. The valve is very durable but those are considered wear items.

mrt049

Reaction score
Flipping the valves.., done that a few times. Never a good idea but... when you are an hour away and your out of rebuild kits... it works.
I would rebuild the valve and replace the aircheck. These parts are fairly inexpensive and will refresh your system to near new condition. The valve is very durable but those are considered wear items.
I'm not sure if this is something I can do myself as I have no experience with water softeners or rebuilding or anything like that. I'll probably have to call someone to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks