Extra long copper pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniellec78

Reaction score
Hi, my copper pipes for the vanity are very long and I want to cut them so the valves end up below the shelf. Is there a reason for them being so tall? Any reason not to cut them down?

Danielle

Attachments

• 20160814_212313.jpg
    20160814_212313.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 241

Reach4

Reaction score
I think they were made tall to let you cut them to the height that you want.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would cut them so the valves are ABOVE the shelf and notch the shelf to fit around the pipes. It is no fun reaching down under a shelf to get at the valves when you need to.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
And if you cut them too short, you would had a shortage of water. Not. Sorry for a poor joke. For real, if you are concerned about appearance of the valves, consider 1/4 turn valves that are meant to be visible. These are often used for toilet supply, but will work anywhere.

Themp

Reaction score
The long length I think was done to stop water hammer. i.e. the section above the current valves. But current thinking is that these sections fill with water over time and thus become ineffective. I have these all over my house and I used to drain the system to try and get air back into the extensions. But someone commented here that the extensions can hold water like when you put your finger over a straw. Just replaced my shower valve and got rid of the two here.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
It used to be thought that an air chamber, or capped stand pipe, was a effective solution to controlling water hammer. However, within an air chamber, nothing separated the air from the water. It only takes a few short weeks before the air is absorbed into the water, leaving the air chamber waterlogged and completely ineffective against water hammer.

They are commonly required in many jurisdictions.

The most effective means of controlling water hammer is a measured, compressible cushioning of air which is permanently separated from the water system. A manufacturer water hammer arrestor.

Air chambers are 24 times the pipe diameter. Your half inch pipe, in your photo, has 12 inch air chambers.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
could you have gotten any farther away for the picture? It is impossible to tell anything other than that they are very tall. Are there tees and valves above the floor?

Reach4

Reaction score
could you have gotten any farther away for the picture? It is impossible to tell anything other than that they are very tall. Are there tees and valves above the floor?
Ahh... I had missed the valves, which I now see. Good eye themp.

I think a bathroom lavatory does not usually need water hammer arrestors, because the valves do not turn off fast. So you could just cut those down and cap rather than putting in the more modern arrestors.
img_3.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks