External Hose Bib Hookup

Users who are viewing this thread

k75s57

Reaction score
I live in the Chicago suburbs and have a small yard. I am adding 2 separate drip irrigation systems on timers to two different backyard garden areas. I have 1 backyard outdoor faucet. Water pressure 60 PSI at outdoor faucet and it is ½ copper in the basement to that outdoor faucet. All exteriors hookups are designed to be removed for winter. I would like to install a 3 way hose splitter at my back yard outdoor faucet so that I can individually select A) hose line hookup, B) drip irrigation A with timer, or C) a line that is run under my deck to the other side of the yard to a 2nd hose splitter. At the 2nd hose splitter I would have A) hose line hookup, and B) 2nd drip irrigation B with timer.

I am planning on using ½ PVC slip valves, ½ PVC parts and ½ PVC to ¾ hose bib fittings.

The line between the two splitters is under the deck.

The first hose splitter would be in the sun. The run to the 2nd hose splitter and the actual 2nd hose splitter would be under the deck.

I have not soldered copper pipe but did electronic soldering many moons ago.

I have not found a good off the shelf hose splitter. Some have brass fittings which has lead in them.

Should I stay with PVC or should I use PEX with click no lead brass fittings since the PEX would be under the deck? Other ideas? Is PVC OK for gardening?

Elton Noway

Reaction score
Should I stay with PVC or should I use PEX with click no lead brass fittings since the PEX would be under the deck? Other ideas? Is PVC OK for gardening?
Yes... PVC is great for gardening (as well as irrigation). Not sure why you'd ask unless your worried about the Prop 65 warning. In reality PVC is not on the Prop 65 list, it only includes the warning because its possible "some" of components that go into making PVC might be on the list. that said since you live in the Chicago area make sure you use schedule 40 PVC. Schedule 20 or 30 may have a more attractive price point but they are primarily best suited for drainage or gutter runoff and not designed for use under pressure. TIP: If you can check the size of your homes water line leading to your hose bib. If the water line from your house to the hose bib is 3/4" then I'd use 3/4 PVC fittings... if 1/2" then you design idea is fine. (ideally you don't want to impact to potential volume of available water... i.e., reducing the feed from 3/4 to 1/2" )

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks