Extending Sewer to Shed questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Markcockrell

Reaction score
I am attempting to tie into my main sewer line to add a run for a toilet and sink in a back yard shed. (Southeast Virginia) I have tackled a few small plumbing repairs and DIY jobs but I am a definitely a novice. I think I have a plan of attack but was hoping I could get clarification on a few things and validate if I've really screwed this design up.

I have posted my best attempt to mock this up with the fittings and pipe sizes I plan to use. Existing sewer already exits the rear of my house, makes a 90 to extend past the house then has another long sweep 90 to head to the street and connect to the city sewer line. (I plan to remove this 90 and insert a long sweep wye)
1) Are the fittings and pipe sizes appropriate for the toilet and lav? (Nothing else will ever need to be added, this is a shed/ pool bathroom)
2) Does the roof vent need to be 3" or 2"??
3) Assuming my connections are done properly and I have the correct slopes throughout is this a correct design that would meet plumbing code.

Shed Sewer Diagram.jpg

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would wye off to the toilet as you show then use a 3" 1/8 bend followed by a 3 x 2" wye, the 3" acting as a cleanout, the 2" rising up the wall with a 2 x 1 1/2" san tee for the lav and the 2" continuing up for the vent. I would post a drawing but I am too esconced in my oldfartitude for that sort of thing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How deep is the line? With smaller than 4" pipe, you have to maintain at least a 1/4" per foot. IF you make the new stuff to the shed 4", you can drop that minimum slope to 1/8" per foot, but more is better. If your numbers are correct, you'll need at least 3.75", which probably isn't an issue if the pipe is deep enough.

Markcockrell

Reaction score
How deep is the line? With smaller than 4" pipe, you have to maintain at least a 1/4" per foot. IF you make the new stuff to the shed 4", you can drop that minimum slope to 1/8" per foot, but more is better. If your numbers are correct, you'll need at least 3.75", which probably isn't an issue if the pipe is deep enough.
Thanks for the responses Mr Tee, Jim and James.
@Mr tee >> I think I follow your suggestions, makes sense.
@jadnashua >> I already excavated about 3" so that I can add a rock base under the shed and the sewer line is still at a 12" depth so I'm good with the 1/4 per foot.
@James Henry >> Looks like we're IPC, but I should be good with 1/4 so good either way.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
UPC is 4", and IPC the minimum is 3" from what I remember. If you've got the depth, 1/4" per foot will be more reliable, I think.

What's your frost line where you live? That can be an issue.

Markcockrell

Reaction score
UPC is 4", and IPC the minimum is 3" from what I remember. If you've got the depth, 1/4" per foot will be more reliable, I think.

What's your frost line where you live? That can be an issue.
4-6" (virginia beach) A lot of people get by without even winterizing their irrigation systems here. (Not a good idea but...)

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Boy, with things that close to the surface, you'd be well advised to call dig safe before you did much of anything! I think that also requires a metal tracer wire so those lines can be found when they're plastic versus metal. Check your local code.

This might help explain... https://www.kristechwire.com/instal...nes/?msclkid=b25270a7c4de11ec8f1daeef07da1e90

It appears that at least some places in VA require the tracer lines...see item 9 in attached. http://www.hcsa.us/files/HCSA-Trace....pdf?msclkid=9a838a8dc4df11eca86c8731bf1e7efb

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks