extending galvanized piping under a vanity

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by stacyly, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. stacyly

    stacyly New Member

    Oct 8, 2004
    I have a friend who needs to change her 48" long bathroom vanity. It has a sink near one end, and the plumbing terminates there. New vanities have cutouts for sinks only in the center, she's been told, so she needs to extend the galvanized supply piping to the new sink. Oh, I just thought about the drain... Well, anyway, can someone here tell us how to do this? She was told that she'd have to pay a plumber almost a thousand dollars for the job... But, we're both good with our hands so if it's possible, we'll do it ourselves... Thanks.
  2. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    Keep looking for a vanity - there are some where the opening for the sink is on the end. You can also get a modular system (just like kitchen cabinets) and make it up any way you want. I just bought a similar one at Home Depot - go to their kitchen bath design center. You can get one at any similar place. Now, you may not be able to find a pre-made one-piece sink/counter with the sink at the end, but anything you want can be made up in either formica, stone, or any solid surface material, or you could tile your own.

    Galvanized supply lines tend to corrode and get plugged up. If you are lucky, yours are still in good shape (depends a lot on your incoming water). Most people aren't lucky! You may find you need to replace them anyways.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. LonnythePlumber

    LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

    Sep 6, 2004
    Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
    Wichita, Kansas
    Halloween Story

    $1,000.00 sounds like part of a Halloween story but it could be a Christmas story for me if I got that for two hours work. Might then turn into a nightmare if I got charged for fraud. Funny how an attorney can charge $500.00 an hour but it's unfair for a plumber to.
    You can easily get vanities with the bowl located whereever you want. I think you can even order them from the box stores. If she does select a center bowl then you can extend your water lines with 3/8" faucet supply lines. You're only moving from 15" off the edge to 24" so you can probably do the 9 inches with an offset slip extension from the trap adapter.
  5. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    It is not fraud if you do the work and they pay you for it. If it were fraud many of the franchise plumbing companies would be paying most of their overcharges to attornies to keep them out of jail.
Similar Threads: extending galvanized
Forum Title Date
Remodel Forum & Blog extending ductwork from crawl to slab Jun 19, 2006
Remodel Forum & Blog Galvanized pipe in 1935 Ship's Railing Aug 31, 2016
Remodel Forum & Blog Removed galvanized service line and pull through poly? Apr 1, 2015
Remodel Forum & Blog galvanized steel downspout inside wall cavity is wet Feb 27, 2011
Remodel Forum & Blog Galvanized Steel Duct for Dryer Ducting Sep 15, 2010

Share This Page