Extending Electrical Wires

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxxfusion

Reaction score
Website
www.maxxfusion.com
I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen. I tore out the old soffits. I now found that the wires are not routed through the top to the wall and down the wall. So in order to do this the wires will be too short to reach the eletrical outlets that they were going to. Some wires are 12/3 and some are 12/2.

So my question is what is the best way to lengthen these? My original tthought was to add a junction box in the wall and run a new wire from this to the outlet. But then the box would be buried behind the wall. My next thought was to make this box accessable in the new cabinets.

Just trying to see what the best way to accomplish this with the best solution. I obviously need to get this piece done before i can add the drywalll back and finish.

Maxxfusion

Reaction score
Website
www.maxxfusion.com
Here are is a pic.

Attachments

• 20210116_121354.jpg
    20210116_121354.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 196

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If that is attic space above you're covered. Pull back the wires and add a junction box that can be accessed from the attic. If there are truss, place the box on the webbing above the insulation so it can be seen.

upload_2021-1-17_12-14-13.png

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
Can you run new wire versus trying to extend? Junction boxes, even if accessible from the attic, are never the first choice.

Keep in mind that if you do put a junction box in the attic, the attic must be accessible. You must have a way to get to a junction box without perm damage to the building (cutting drywall etc). Needing a ladder is fine, removing a removable panel is fine, but if it involves a saw it isn't considered 'accessible'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks