Extending a grounded circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
I wish to install a small pendant light, controlled via switch, above the kitchen sink. This will be a new install, since there is no light there now. There is a grounded receptacle on the wall nearby in the same general vicinity where I would like the switch to be. Would it be permissable to have my electrician tap into the receptacle as a way to provide power to the switch and light? I am aware that ungrounded receptacles would not allow this, but is it OK to add an item (switch/light) to the circuit if it is indeed a grounded circuit? The circuit in question has ample capacity to accomodate the additional light.

If this is doable, what would be the acceptable, or "best practice," way to wire the switch, light, and receptacle in this instance.

Thanks for anyone's input.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think it would be OK. You may want to increase the box from a 1 gang to 2 gang.

I think if the existing outlet was not grounded, that would not stop you. You would want to change out the receptacle to a GFCI version, but you should probably want that, even if rules did not require it. I am not an electrician. I could be missing something.

Stuff

Reaction score
Most kitchen and dining room receptacles are classified as SABC (small appliance branch circuits). With those nothing else like lights are allowed on them.

This rule is one that may be overlooked by inspector.

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
Most kitchen and dining room receptacles are classified as SABC (small appliance branch circuits). With those nothing else like lights are allowed on them.

Actually, the grounded receptacle I plan on utilizing is on a living room circuit that was upgraded a few years ago So technically, the SABC consideration would not apply in this instance. It just happens that this particular reeceptacle is easily accessible and is only a short distance from where the future light pendant would be located.

Stuff

Reaction score
If on the living room circuit then all should be fine. Other code section that might kick in is the need for AFCI protection if the circuit is not already protected by one.

The hard part is usually fishing the cables through the walls. As mentioned, the receptacle box might need to be upsized to accommodate the extra wires. Cable normally run to the switch first as that gives it the neutral required. Then on to the box that holds the pendant.

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
If on the living room circuit then all should be fine. Other code section that might kick in is the need for AFCI protection if the circuit is not already protected by one.

The hard part is usually fishing the cables through the walls. As mentioned, the receptacle box might need to be upsized to accommodate the extra wires. Cable normally run to the switch first as that gives it the neutral required. Then on to the box that holds the pendant.
Thank you very much. I will check AFCI, but am also considering upgrading, piecemeal, all the breakers in the panel to GFCI/AFI breakers just to be sure everything is protected on each circuit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks