Extend well casing - weld or Dresser coupling ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Astrowood

Reaction score
My well has not been touched in 32 years. I have used, and repaired jet pumps 3 times in the past - now is the time to go submersible. The top of the well was buried 3 ft deep (not deeper than the frost line, and yet has never froze - I live in Canada) and I have plenty of surface water as the pit has filled with a foot of water each day as I prepare the hole for the new casing. I have called a local welder with lots of well casing experience, and I have also priced a Dresser coupling which has a 10" reach (5"on each pipe, epoxy coated, stainless bolts).
The cost of welding is within $10 dollars of the price of the coupling. Using the coupling has a real time advantage for me (scheduling of welder), and solves a couple of other minor problems. The coupling is the exact match for the well pipe and extension.
Am I nuts for considering a coupling over welding ? As I mentioned, lots of surface water, and well contamination is a concern. The well is in the backyard and in no danger of being hit by anything.

Thoughts ??

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have used Dresser couplings and I have welded casing extensions, never had a problem with either one.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Personally, I think a dresser coupling is fine but the code says otherwize.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks