Extend hose spigot

Users who are viewing this thread

parrotheadrob

Reaction score
I have a second story deck and a hose bib located at the walkout basement level. I wanted to add a line that extends vertically to the deck. I found a few fittings that will connect the wye on the spigot. I was going to use cpvc to run the line and insert a valve at the bottom that i could use to drain the line in the winter months and prevent freezing. I was wondering if it matters for water pressure if i use 3/4" or 1/2" cpvc? Since I will be going vertical about 12-15 feet what would be my best solution. I'm not trying to presure wash the deck or anything. Just need to rinse it off, water plants and fill up toddler pools, etc.

Thanks for any advice. or if you can offer a better solution. I currently have a hose running the feed, but i get nervous that the hose will split, crack or break and cause a flood that I wont see.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not sure how UV resistant cpvc is...I'd double-check that before going that route.

While the vertical section does need to be drained, a simple valve at the original location is unlikely to prevent that section behind it into the wall from freezing. I'd rethink that, too!

Water pressure will change about 0.43#/foot elevation change. Smaller pipe will cause flow restrictions, and a dynamic pressure drop as well. The larger the pipe, the less frictional loss (the static pressure will be the same, regardless -it will only change with flow).

Since the ID of CPVC is smaller than copper, if you have a 1/2" copper line feeding it, to maintain that flow rate with minimal friction, you'd want the 3/4" CPVC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks