Extend crawlspace cleanout for added sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

bestman

Reaction score
First time poster, long time reader.

I would love advice from all you pros on how best to tie in the drain for a small bar sink to our main waste line.

Is it feasible to extend the iron cleanout with PVC to tie in the drain?

Sorry, I don't know all the right terms. I'm more comfortable on the supply side.

IMG_8073.jpg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's fine, you'll have to drill the lead and oakum out and insert a doughnut then use a 3x2 combo and install a clean out after that.

bestman

Reaction score
That's fine, you'll have to drill the lead and oakum out and insert a doughnut then use a 3x2 combo and install a clean out after that.
Thanks James.

Would it be possible to just unscrew the cleanout "cap" and connect a screw-in PVC then the 3x2, then cleanout?

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Probably the cleanout does not have a standard pipe thread so you won't be able to just screw into it. If the existing line is 4" you need to leave a 4" cleanout on the end of the plastic fitting (wye or combo) that you add.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could also cut the cast further back, and insert a wye in the line using shielded couplings.
Sometimes the old cast is more of a copper size. If you try that, measure the OD of the pipe. Some old 4" cast is 4-1/8" OD, which is the same as copper, and the other side of the coupling would need to be for plastic if you're using ABS.
Or sometimes I pick up a cast no-hub wye for that which takes up less space on the line.

no-hub-4-wye.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks