Users who are viewing this thread

Janice Leigh

Reaction score
Do you think this is an acceptable installation of an exposed trap? Please see picture. Notice the overlap on the left.
IMG_20161218_142136.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I would never have noticed. But you could measure the outside diameter of that left snap-on escutcheon. 2-1/8 is a common size. I don't know if you can find smaller ones than that. Maybe. It bothers you. Seems sensitive. If you have a 2-3/8 one now, it would be an easy swap.

Maybe there is a smaller escutcheon that could replace the bigger drain escutcheon. That would be a notch more complex to change out. But that might be available. Check dimensions.

Last edited:

Janice Leigh

Reaction score
I would never have noticed. But you could measure the outside diameter of that left snap-on escutcheon. 2-1/8 is a common size. I don't know if you can find smaller ones than that. Maybe. It bothers you. Seems sensitive. If you have a 2-3/8 one now, it would be an easy swap.

Maybe there is a smaller escutcheon that could replace the bigger drain escutcheon. That would be a notch more complex to change out. But that might be available. Check dimensions.

JRC3

Reaction score
Compared to most it's pretty even. Is it by chance a public restroom, it looks kinda commercial? If it is then most of it will be obstructed by an ADA shield anyways.

Janice Leigh

Reaction score
Compared to most it's pretty even. Is it by chance a public restroom, it looks kinda commercial? If it is then most of it will be obstructed by an ADA shield anyways.

No, it's our new powder room. And I am very disappointed it is not symmetrical. I can see it clearly when I sit at my kitchen table. We paid a lot for the chrome trap. The plumber knew it was going to be seen.

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if painting the escutcheons to match the wall would make it less noticeable .

JRC3

Reaction score
^
They sell cheap white escutcheons. I agree that a smaller one on the drain pipe would make it a little less noticable.

No, it's our new powder room. And I am very disappointed it is not symmetrical. I can see it clearly when I sit at my kitchen table. We paid a lot for the chrome trap. The plumber knew it was going to be seen.
Was the rough in plumbing existing or new? If new and it was known that a pedestal was going in then it should be done symmetrical. That is unless there's something in the wall to prevent it.

JRC3

Reaction score
Actually, is that a round access cover between the supply lines with the waste line under it? Hart to tell from the centered picture.

pi4710.jpg

Janice Leigh

Reaction score
^
They sell cheap white escutcheons. I agree that a smaller one on the drain pipe would make it a little less noticable.

Was the rough in plumbing existing or new? If new and it was known that a pedestal was going in then it should be done symmetrical. That is unless there's something in the wall to prevent it.
The rough in plumbing is new, so in my opinion it should have been accurate.

Janice Leigh

Reaction score
I wonder if painting the escutcheons to match the wall would make it less noticeable .
I questioned the location of the roughed in plumbing before the tile was installed and was assured it was correct. I'm very disappointed. Painting to hide the error doesn't seem a suitable solution to me.

Treeman

Reaction score
IF that is an access cover like JRC3 asks, can't you simply loosen and reposition it about 3/8 inch to the right? Then, loosen the sink mount and move the whole sink about a quarter inch to the left. Perfection.

Its one of those "problems" that absolutely no one else will notice, unless you tell them. But, most of us have experienced this at one time or another. Its often the "principle" that you paid big money and you want it perfect.

Janice Leigh

Reaction score
IF that is an access cover like JRC3 asks, can't you simply loosen and reposition it about 3/8 inch to the right? Then, loosen the sink mount and move the whole sink about a quarter inch to the left. Perfection.

Its one of those "problems" that absolutely no one else will notice, unless you tell them. But, most of us have experienced this at one time or another. Its often the "principle" that you paid big money and you want it perfect.

Thanks so much! I will ask our plumber if they can do that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks