Expansion tank needed on Rheem hybrid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
My plumber says no and I don't have a check valve on my water supply coming into the house (open system?)

However, I do have a whole house filter and a DAB pressure booster in between the supply and water heater.

Should I install a expansion tank just to be safe? Concerned about the back pressure on the whole house filter.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Needed, maybe not. Where I live, yes, you'd need to have one. It doesn't really cost all that much, and while they don't last forever, they're pretty simple to replace when they do fail.

I do not know if your filter has a check valve inside. If it does, yes, you would want an expansion tank. Some filters don't have an issue with backflushing, some potentially do.

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a garden hose thread pressure gauge. Monitor your water pressure at a laundry tub or at the WH drain. Does the water pressure rise to over 100 psi after you take a hot shower and use no further water for toilet flushes or hand washing in the next several minutes until you check the pressure? If yes, you need the expansion tank.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
You spent a lot of money for that hybrid water heater.... so dont be a cheap ass and skimp on a thermal expansion tank
it is just wise to throw one on even if you dont have high water pressure.... it will 100% insure that the heater will be under the least amount of stress throughout its life and in theory it will lengthen the life of the heater.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks