Expansion tank needed for mini POU tank heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

RogerS

Reaction score
I currently have a tankless water heater plumbing system. No expansion tank or circulation pump. If I add a small 2-gallon mini tank point-of-use heater do I also need an expansion tank? Everything I see indicates tank heaters 40-gallons and up need expansion tanks.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Water expands when heated. Water cannot be compressed so the expansion must go somewhere.

Many homes connected to a muncipal water supply were previously not equipped with backflow prevention devices, so any water expansion occuring in the WH, would push back into the municipal system. Now, many municipalities require a backflow prevention device such as a check valve, to be located where the water service enters the home.

If your water supply is equipped with a check valve or PRV, then a thermal expansion tank is needed to absorb the expansion from the WH. When no allowance is made for expansion, the WH TPR valve will usually begin to leak to relieve the stress of the additional pressure on the plumbing system.

If your mini heater is to be fed hot water from the tankless, the temperature rise will be minor so amount of expansion within a 2-gallon heater should be far less to cause the TPRV to begin leaking, but an expansion tank plumbed to the cold water plumbing would provide a measure of safety regardless.

If your water supply is a private well, then the pressure tank will typically absorb any expansion, provided there is no check valve located between the WH inlet and the pressure tank.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks