Expansion tank life?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pete C

Reaction score
I have an Amtrol expansion tank. When I moved into the house in 2001 it looked pretty new.

It don't look new, anymore. Surface rust at the welds. It is not leaking....yet.

I have another pinhole leak in the plumbing between the pump and tank. I am going to do what I should have done a while ago and change it all out with PVC. I am thinking this might be a good time to go ahead and do the tank as well.

What say you folks? I read somewhere that typical life is 5-10 years. If this is the case, I have gotten moer than my money's worth.

Pete C

Reaction score
Current tank is 31" tall, 15" diameter. Don't see gallons listed.

Any recommendations on replacement would be appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Expansion tank is used on inlet to water heater. Pressure tanks are used with well or booster pumps. Rust on the outside is not much of a concern. What is important is the diaphragm on the inside. The water chamber is lined with plastic and the diaphragm so water doesn't touch steel. When the diaphragm tears it lets water in the air chamber which is not lined. Condensation will make it rust on the outside. A torn diaphragm makes it rust from the inside out. But the loss of air from the torn diaphragm is usually a problem long before that. Oh and BTW, diaphragms tear from going up and down to much because the pump is cycling on and off repeatedly.

Reach4

Reaction score
Amtrol has various pressure tank offerings. Their Water worker and Value-well brands are built to a lower standard than their Well-X-Trol.

I don't know if there is much difference in the outer protection, other than I would expect their underground tanks have a better protection.
I have another pinhole leak in the plumbing between the pump and tank. I am going to do what I should have done a while ago and change it all out with PVC. I am thinking this might be a good time to go ahead and do the tank as well.
How long does your pump run at minimum? To test that, run water until the pressure switch clicks on. Immediately stop using water. Time how long it took for the pressure switch to click off. The purpose of this is to help decide how big your next tank should be.

What say you folks? I read somewhere that typical life is 5-10 years. If this is the case, I have gotten moer than my money's worth.
20 and 30 years are not that rare. I think my steel Flexcon Challenger PC144R pressure tank was installed in 2002.

Wider tanks tend to last longer than tall and skinny. Don't get the Pentair. They have a bladder, and you want a diaphragm.

Terry gray

Reaction score
Pete if you have the money to replace the pressure tank at the same time you replace the supply water line I think you would be better off
Because I didn't at first and I have now replaced the the whole system putting in a new pump and supply line to the house pressure tank switch and all new wire from power pole to the pump it would have saved me money and time if I would have done it all in the first place I'm not a plumber but am the home owner that wishes I would have listened to myself and replaced everything I could to start with

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pete if you have the money to replace the pressure tank at the same time you replace the supply water line I think you would be better off
Because I didn't at first and I have now replaced the the whole system putting in a new pump and supply line to the house pressure tank switch and all new wire from power pole to the pump it would have saved me money and time if I would have done it all in the first place I'm not a plumber but am the home owner that wishes I would have listened to myself and replaced everything I could to start with

LOL! I have the same problem. Seems like any place I stop repairing something is the starting place for my next problem. But I don't like fixing something that isn't broken either. Just have to draw the line somewhere and live with it. :)

Reach4

Reaction score
Pressure tanks can be piped two ways, at least two common ways. One is to have the well side approach the pressure tank+switch from one side, and the house side would be on the other. Th other is to tee off the water from the well first. Then one way is the house. The other way is the pressure tank+switch. With that second way, you can sometimes replace the pressure tank with minimum change to other things. It is important that pressure tank+switch have a low resistance path between them.

I would like you to leave space for a larger diameter tank even if you don't replace the tank now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks