Expansion tank for gravity heating system. What is this in my attic?

Users who are viewing this thread

aarpcard

Reaction score
The house was built in 1908. We still have the original hot water radiators in use. There is a very, old (probably original) expansion tank in the basement.

I just found this in the attic behind a removable panel in the wall. What is it? It has a large 1 1/2" pipe going into the top of it and a small 3/4" pipe coming out of the bottom which has been cut. The cut pipe leading down and away is plugged, but the pipe existing the bottom of the tank is open. The tank has at least 3 more ports in it that are all plugged.

Compared to the expansion tank we have in the basement, this tank is riveted and constructed more like a boiler . . . There is also no fill port.

20210524_202920.jpg

20210524_202908.jpg

20210524_202933.jpg

aarpcard

Reaction score
Yep, built in 1908. Having only ever hear about these and never actually seen one, I was surprised to see it had two pipes going to it.

Glennhvac

Reaction score
Remember being brand new and sent out from the place I worked for to convert an old gravity system. This place did not care for training so here I am wondering why water is pouring out the guys downspout on a sunny day! That second pipe is the escape hatch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks