Expansion tank directly above WH cold inlet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Vdawg

Reaction score
Is it ok to install an expansion tank directly above the cold water inlet on the water heater? That is, add a brass tee to the inlet and screw the tank into the top port of the tee, then bring the cold water line into the horizontal port of the tee. Is that too close (~4 in.) to the heated water such that it would cause problems?
Thanks!

JerryR

Reaction score
Is it ok to install an expansion tank directly above the cold water inlet on the water heater? That is, add a brass tee to the inlet and screw the tank into the top port of the tee, then bring the cold water line into the horizontal port of the tee. Is that too close (~4 in.) to the heated water such that it would cause problems?
Thanks!
Yes. That’s the way mine is installed.

3D852458-5597-46BC-BBE0-7AE32E0DBB5F.jpeg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Normally I install it on the hot water side as HOT water expands just like a hydronics system

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I found these Amtrol instructions.

Pre-Installation
1 Ensure expansion tank is sized properly for application (Figure 1).
2. Remove plastic cap from air valve.
3. With tank empty of water, adjust air precharge to match cold water supply pressure.
4. Replace and tighten plastic cap on air valve.
5. ST-5, ST-8, ST-12 only: Insert Turbulator™ into connector. FAILURE TO PROPERLY SEAL VALVE CAP WILL RESULT IN LOSS OF PRECHARGE CAUSING PRODUCT TO FAIL.

Installation
1. Install the expansion tank on the cold water supply line to the water heater at a point between the water heater and backflow preventer or other one-way device (Figure 2). Mount vertically in downward position only. Ensure that tank is supported properly to hold the entire weight of the tank when full of water. Models ST-25V through ST-210V are floor standing and may not be hung from the piping.
2. Once the expansion tank is installed, check the cold water supply line for any leakage. Make repairs if necessary.
3. Before the initial firing of the water heater, open any hot water fixture and draw water until all air is removed from the system. Turn the water heater temperature control to desired ending temperature (see water heater instructions). Do not set temperature higher than the expansion tank maximum.
4. To relieve initial thermal expansion, momentarily open a hot water faucet. Continue until water heater aquastat temperature is satisfied. Once heater is at its operating range, no further bleeding of expanded water is required.
5. The water heater and expansion tank will now be operational. The expansion tank will control pressure increases caused by thermal expansion to a level below the water heater relief valve setting.

Hwkmn05

Reaction score
My plumber ran new lines in my basement for space issues in ceiling. Needing to move lines around the water heater, he removed my expansion tank on it claiming it was of no use. I disagree. Now it takes a minute longer to run hot to the upstairs. Could it be because the tank is on a timer? He did leave an install fitting with a shut off on it. Could I simply reinstall this without any issues?

Reach4

Reaction score
To post a new thread:

If you see the name of the forum you want to post into, try clicking that. Otherwise, click Forums, which gets you to http://www.terrylove.com/forums/index.php

Click the name of the forum that you want to post into.

On the right, click on "Post New Thread".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My plumber ran new lines in my basement for space issues in ceiling. Needing to move lines around the water heater, he removed my expansion tank on it claiming it was of no use. I disagree. Now it takes a minute longer to run hot to the upstairs. Could it be because the tank is on a timer? He did leave an install fitting with a shut off on it. Could I simply reinstall this without any issues?
A picture 800 pixels or less would help us.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks