Expansion tank dead end?

Users who are viewing this thread

whackit

In the Trades
Reaction score
i just got flagged by an inspector (new guy in neighborhood) for having an expansion tank on a dead end line. It’s tee’d off the cold water supply to water heater and on a 2’ long dead end leg. Given the parameters (small room, big tank, location of backflow valve etc) there is really no other place to locate it. I have done this before in similar situations and not had a problem. Is there anything that prohibits this? I can’t find anything.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When the WH runs, water will be pushed into the ET. When you later use some water, it will get pushed back out, so, it's not truly ever going to get stagnant. I haven't looked to see if there's a code limitation, but personally, it doesn't seem like a problem to me...any idea what code provision (was it stated in the inspection?) that applies?

whackit

In the Trades
Reaction score
He couldn't site any code reference. I have seen this plumbed this way a million times. I understand if it was on a 10' dead end but this is like 18".

Reach4

Reaction score
My search came up with people concerned about dead end for hydronic heating expansion tanks but not for regular water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks