Expansion fitting on PEX B?

Users who are viewing this thread

JOD788

Reaction score
So I've searched around on the googles and it seems most info I'm reading suggests an expansion fitting on PEX B is not "approved". So, I had a plumber that's about the most trusted one I know and has done this for about 40 years replace a shower valve assembly and he seems to have connected my existing red colored Lowe's sharkbite brand 1/2 PEX B to the valve assembly, and over to the stud at a 90 elbow all with expansion fittings. How wrong is this? I have a real hard time thinking this guy doesn't know what he's doing, with the reputation he has...but who knows?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some manufacturers approve the use of their PEX-b with expansion fittings, I think Zurn and Sioux Chief are examples. Sharkbite's website says they make both PEX-a and PEX-b, and only their PEX-a is listed as approved for use with expansion fittings. So it's a violation of the manufacturer's guidelines, not sure if it will be a problem or not.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would never approve that as a professional. I could never warranty that connection. But without knowing exactly the brand and type I can't say if it was correct or not. Pics of the actual pipe with its printed details would be the way to determine it.

JOD788

Reaction score
I would never approve that as a professional. I could never warranty that connection. But without knowing exactly the brand and type I can't say if it was correct or not. Pics of the actual pipe with its printed details would be the way to determine it.
Thanks. So, it's Sharkbite from Lowe's. I did examine the pipe and looked at the printed and approved codes for what fittings are approved. F1960 expansion is not listed on the pipe. Only 1061 push, 2159 barb, 1807 barb. Guess that maybe answers some of my question. I guess I'm curious on how often this is done purposely or carelessly and how non-reliable expansion fittings are on PEX B.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it could happen more often in remodels than in new construction. When we see PEX-B,C on jobsites we usually adapt to it using a crimp style fitting or sharkbite with our PEX-A then continue on with ours. I wouild never do it the other way around. Way too much liability.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Pex split 1.jpg
PEX split 2.jpg
Very wrong.
The legit way is to use mfr. matched fittings to get the full warranty, with the installer certified as well.
My example, posted in this forum, of Uponor expansion PEX installed in a house 10 years ago, now with failures and Uponor is paying to repipe the entire luxury home incl. wall repairs.
Even with approved and matching parts, the Uponor A pipe split at the white rings.

JOD788

Reaction score
View attachment 78568 View attachment 78569 Very wrong.
The legit way is to use mfr. matched fittings to get the full warranty, with the installer certified as well.
My example, posted in this forum, of Uponor expansion PEX installed in a house 10 years ago, now with failures and Uponor is paying to repipe the entire luxury home incl. wall repairs.
Even with approved and matching parts, the Uponor A pipe split at the white rings.
Eek. That sucks. Bad batch of pex? Improved since then? 10 year failure seems unfortunate. Do you prefer crimp over expansion based on seeing this failure of appropriately used expansion?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a reason why pex-a costs more...it's a more involved process to get the amount of cross-linking required. It's the cross-linking of the molecules that provides the memory and allows enough compression when the tubing is expanded to reliably create the seal when it collapses. It's also the reason why pex-a has the minimum bend radius and can be restored by using heat if you get a kink. Did he at least use the compression rings? I'd still not trust it unless it was specifically approved by the people that made it and know its intimate characteristics, but generically, only pex-a is designed for expansion fittings...it will work with compression rings, too, if you really wanted to use them, but then you'd be wasting the pipe some.

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
View attachment 78568 View attachment 78569 Very wrong.

I was all set to go Rehau, and wanted to stick with mfg. fittings, but they had a few backordered for months so switched to Uponor and all my fittings, bend supports, valves etc. are Uponor so if there is a problem I don't have to have them saying I used an OEM fitting. I actually get started piping this weekend hopefully.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks