Expand PEX A twice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Vdawg

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been asked here in the past, but I did look and couldn't find it in a search. I've read you can heat PEX A to remove the sleeve and ultimately release a fitting for reuse. But even if you do this successfully, can that end of the PEX pipe be re-expanded or must it be cut back anyway?

I can see doing this to re-use the fitting (my understanding is only brass fittings should be reused this way), but I'm wondering if the end of the pipe itself can still be reused (re-expanded) to take on another fitting.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Uponor instructions say for reuse of brass fitting, to cut back 2" to 3" minimum up to 1" pipe. 3" minimum cut back for 1.25 to 2" pipe.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I've never done it but never had to either.. Ever see the videos where PEX A kinks are "repaired" with a heat gun? The pipe turns transparent and gets flexible like silicone rubber. I think if I were going to do a second expansion, I'd heat the pipe clear, let it cool, then expand.

John

Reach4

Reaction score
When I have done something approximating that, I had to also expand the ring to get the ring onto the pex. Then when the combo shrank down, it had a tiny leak. I put a hose clamp around the expansion ring, which stopped the leak. Some time later I removed the hose clamp, and no leak. My some time later was weeks later, but maybe it did not take that long.

It was expedient, and not the normal way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks