Existing dual tank, dual timer.... Help please...

Users who are viewing this thread

frenum49

Reaction score
Hello all,

Please see the attached photo.... Please excuse the dust and cob webs. This system uses two tanks with timers. The smaller tank on the left has a line going to the brine tank while the one on the right does not. I assume the larger one (right) is being used to remove iron while the other softens the water but honestly I have no idea. I can find no labels on the smaller tank but the larger is a Performa Autotrol 263 valve and 440i timer. Both are back washing tanks. Anyway, my question is this.... Do I need to set these timers to regen at different times? How often for the iron filter? (if that is even what it is) Honestly I am largely clueless about this system and any help you all can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
http://www.softenerparts.com/Autotrol_Repair_Parts_s/2.htm will help identify the controllers.
Yes, you want them to generate at different times or different days.

You might see if you can talk to the former owner. He would probably like talking about it.

You will want to get a water test, an you will want to buy a Hach 5-B to test the hardness before and after.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Assuming the unit on the right is the first one in line, it should regen first. If the first unit is BIRM then it should regen every night. But if it's carbon, it can go every 3 nights.

Bannerman

Reaction score
They also should be set to regenerate at alternate times to ensure they are not both in process at the same time.

If the BIRM filter is programmed to backwash at 2 am with that cycle likely only 20 minutes total duration, then the softener could be programmed to regenerate at 2:30 am or later as that cycle is typically 1.5 hours duration.

JRC3

Reaction score
After a few backwashes on the BIRM, I would test kit the water for iron running through it only (no softener) and then raw from the well. At least fill two clear bottles and look at them side by side. Then why not let the bottles sit and check for iron bacteria. Or as I have done, run two different filtered and unfiltered tubfuls of water and do a visual. I just wonder if the BIRM media is past it's prime and should be replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks