exhaust fans like they used to make em?

Users who are viewing this thread

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
I'm installing an exhaust fan in a wet bath that will have some pretty high steam levels and will likely be converted a steam room.
Should I bother getting an exhaust fan with a motor like they used to make (I mean like the 50 year old exhaust fan in my kitchen that had run silently 24/7 since august 2012.)
Or should I go to el cheapo and buy one that I know I need to replace the motor every two years?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Shaded Pole motors are cheap.

That is about as simple as it gets.

Nothing to wear out except the Bearings/Bushings.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing I have in my master bath is a www.solatube.com tubular skylight with a vent fan and internal light fixture for night. I love it. The fan is remote, so you do not hear it run, and in bright sunlight, the thing provides the equivalent of up to a 300W light bulb! Mine's been in now for nearly 10-years, and the fan is still quiet, no leaks, and even at night, if the moon is out or there's snow on the roof (from the streetlights reflecting), there's enough light to see and not bump into things. This bathroom does not have any outside walls, so there are no windows except for the skylight - it took me several years to not reach for the light switch when leaving the room. When I looked at them and compared, the Solatube had the best color temp (the closest to natural light)...most of the others were either not as efficient, or the interior was not polished as much, or they used a material that colored the light some (often bluish). They've changed the rooftop domed light collector from a parabolic mirror to a Fresnel lens and the internal air grate is now flush, mine is a torus around the light and stuck down from the ceiling. It makes a really nice addition to any darker room when you have access to the roof for the tube.

Attachments

• Vent_Kit_Large_0.jpg
    Vent_Kit_Large_0.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks