Exhaust fan wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

jjamison

Reaction score
New bathroom has vanity light and exhaust vent/light/heater combo unit.
There are three rocker switches in this order.
a) One switch for vanity light. Two black wires.
b) One switch for exhaust vent and light. They turn on together. Two black wires and one red.
c) One switch heater. Two black wires.
I would very much like to convert “b” to a stacker switch such that I can turn on the vent light without turning on the vent.
Does it sound like I will be able to do so with the wiring I have?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I understand what you have, there are actually four switchable things, but two of them are tied together:
- vanity lights
- combination of
------ vent fan
------ vent light
- heater

With three switches, you can control three of these, but if you want to control a fourth thing separately, you'd need a fourth switch.

Now, you could combine the vent light and the vanity lights together by determining which lead is providing power to the vent light and moving it to the switched side of the vanity light switch if you wished.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks