Users who are viewing this thread

Donna Krombach

Reaction score
I own vacant home to be renovated in 2020. Water bills ranged from $25 to $900 within 6 month period. When city inspector checked meter, it was actively running while submerged in over 15 inches of mud and water. He dug out meter from connection, cleaned out sludge and reconnected back to meter box. A few hours later, meter was not running as fast as before. By end of day, we tested meter by flushing toilet, meter ran for a minute then stopped as no more water was being used.
My bill this month was $25, normal amt while vacant. We have no leaks on the property, all plumbing is less than 10 yrs old. Pressure regulator in basement was replaced last year. My past due amount is $2500. Plumber says since property has minimal usage and runs downhill- underground main water line puts pressure on meter causing it to be faulty with inaccurate usage numbers. What is my responsibility to water company now since we know we did not use the water? They just sent a disconnect notice.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water doesn't "Run Downhill" in a closed system. It must go somewhere. Likely it was leaking at the union of the meter and was fixed when the city fixed their faulty equipment. You should contact them and explain what has happened and ask for a rebate or at least a reduction in your bill.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Anything past the meter is yours. It happened quite a lot in S. Florida after all water meters were upgraded. My neighbor, mine own meter, my sons and a daughter of a friend all leaked right at the meter and I fixed each one. For my son he had a leak for months and when one bill was sky high and I noticed that the ground was soggy, we found the leak on his side of the meter. He called the water company and they adjusted the bill to the average use for the last few months. Worth a try. The city worker's explanation makes no sense "underground main water line puts pressure on meter causing it to be faulty with inaccurate usage numbers" but worth a try to use that statement.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seattle Public Utility will give you a 1 time credit towards the sewage bill if the leak is in your equipment before it gets to the house and didn't go thru the sewer system. They still charge you for the water used just not the sewage treatment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks